Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adjusting Spring Preload  (Read 405 times)

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Maryland
Adjusting Spring Preload
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:18:41 PM »
Hi all.  I had a question on my vlog about D-ESA which sent me out to play around with my bike and I ran into the following issue.  In attempting to adjust my spring preload I have done the following but am not able to select one up, one up with luggage, or two-up.  Those options don't even present themselves.  Here is what I did.  I started the bike.  I pressed the suspension/spring button on the left handlebar.  I hold down the button and I get either Auto or Min.  From there I cannot get the options of One-up, One-up with luggage, or Two-up.  The icons don't appear anywhere.  What am I missing?  As the bike has Dynamic Pro is auto the only option as that is what is recommended?  Are the other options for those with the model without Dynamic Pro? 

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Adjusting Spring Preload
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:39:15 PM »
Pretty sure the "One-up", "One-up with luggage" and "Two-up with luggage" etc is a Gen-1 or pre 2020 thing....I believe the 2020> bikes have a different menu setup on the TFT screen.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:59:15 PM »
Interesting.  I pulled the procedures out of my manual which talks about those settings but I do notice on the back of the manual it says 07.2019.  Perhaps it wasn't updated?  My issue there, however, is that the manual shows the current TFT.  I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »
I am pretty sure Smithy is correct, this si similar to my wife's 1250GS where the option is min/max or auto(which I believe auto levels the bike).

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:42:54 AM »
I am thinking Smithy is correct as well but am confused by the manual...It shows the new TFT with those settings...that is what seems odd.   :157:  I will see if my service department has any thoughts on it. 

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:47:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by TBRD [+]
I am thinking Smithy is correct as well but am confused by the manual...It shows the new TFT with those settings...that is what seems odd.   :157:  I will see if my service department has any thoughts on it.

Manual shows 2 different configurations because there are now 2 types od D-ESA on 2020 model available.
1. D-ESA which is now standard equipment on 2020 model, and is adjusted in the old fashion way (one person, 2 persons+luggage). However, with this mode you can't change the damping (Road/Dynamic)
2. D-ESA Pro (you need to pay for PRO) which adjusts the preload automatically (hence the AUTO setting in the menu). The other option - MIN, puts the preload to minimum setting in order to lower the bike and make it easier to get on/off. Unlike the standard D-ESA, Pro also comes with 2 damping modes (Road/Dynamic)

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 01:28:53 AM »
That makes perfect sense.  I was assuming it was something to that end.  I appreciate it all!

dysfunctional