Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from a new to forum ex-GS rider  (Read 4483 times)

Offline SiRich

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Halifax, W.Yorks
Hello from a new to forum ex-GS rider
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »
Hi folks from a newbie from West Yorkshire!

In a bit of a leap of faith traded my GS LC for a brand new S1000XR.

So far so good bike only on 65 miles but on initial ride felt smooth as silk and I felt like my biking mojo had returned (maybe just that new bike feeling), the bike looks great in the flesh (red) and shifting through the gears she sounds lovely.

Trips already planned to France/Germany and also to Spain this year.

Mods to date, mra tinted screen with the lippy thing, evotech rad n oil cooler guard and givi rear plate.  Fitted a wunderlich side stand enlarger but look it off,it deffo needs thread lock.

All the best :821:
Simon.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Hello from a new to forum ex-GS rider
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
Evening, Simon. :028:

If you want a comprehensive list of accessories to buy, you know where I am. :008:

Offline SiRich

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Hi Rich, I think I'll try n resist buying more extras for now  :087: but give me a shout when you're selling! :156:

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:53 AM »
 :400: Simon.

The bike is GOOD but please be careful of your license :005:

Just tested the new Tiger Explorer and it is a good bike but really want a longer range.  Can get 200 out of the XR and about 225 out of the Explorer bot have 20 litres on board.  Managed to do a tank on the XR in 100 miles but average speed was 130 with bursts to 150 2 up with all 3 boxes on.

I may be going down the route of GSA or Super Adventure as I like having the long legs and my Trophy is getting very heavy 530kgs + fully loaded.

What sort of range were you getting on your GS?

From another Simon.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline SiRich

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »
Hi Simon & thanks for the welcome!

The GS always averaged 220 miles to a tank , sometimes as high as 250 on a tour.  Usually about 53mpg on the computer and it's a 20 litre tank. I could wind it up to 145mph quite easily with a pillion on one occasion and generally I rode it quite hard without going silly. I did 10,500 miles on it in 18 months.

The vario luggage on a GS is not very big for two up travelling so for that reason alone I would probably go for a GSA with its metal boxes, but in all honesty they are virtually the same bike ride wise, although the GSA has an extra 10 litre tank size so is good for another 100 miles.

I dare say I will be back on a GS/GSA at some point in the future but I fancied a change and something a bit more edgy this time.

With you on the licence thing, crazy fast  :020: thought I'd left those days behind with my GSXR!

Simon

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by SiRich [+]
[snip]
Fitted a wunderlich side stand enlarger but look it off,it deffo needs thread lock.

Welcome Simon!

Yup agree re Wunderlich sidestand enlarger - mine was attached using threadlock but still fell off and I'm still waiting for Nippy Normans to send me a new one!  Norman hasnt even acknowledged the email I sent which isnt very good - especialy as they dont take phone calls !  The R+G one looks a lot better and looks like it wont fall off.

Have fun, its an awesome bike!
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline SiRich

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »
Thanks Bagwafu :028:

the pointy grubber screw seems a bad idea (they were flat ends on the GS version), probably will go for the R&G or Givi one.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Way too many Simons on this thread  :745:

Welcome Simon.
Another one I recognise from the other site....

You made the right choice to change, just a shame you picked the wrong colour
It's an 'awesome' bike, whatever colour, and I'd be surprised if you don't love it
It's way lighter than my old GSA & way quicker too but much of the extra speed / power is a waste cos I ride mainly minor roads. However I think it'll be even more 'awesome' when I get to the Alps & Pyrenees  :152:

Offline SiRich

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:41:25 PM »
Thanks Jockster :028:

Yes you're right, am on t'other site of a GS persuasion, seems a few of us have moved across to the S1000XR.  It is indeed awesome.  Hoping to get some more miles on her tomorrow.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 09:58:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
Way too many Simons on this thread  :745:

Welcome Simon.
Another one I recognise from the other site....

You made the right choice to change, just a shame you picked the wrong colour
It's an 'awesome' bike, whatever colour, and I'd be surprised if you don't love it
It's way lighter than my old GSA & way quicker too but much of the extra speed / power is a waste cos I ride mainly minor roads. However I think it'll be even more 'awesome' when I get to the Alps & Pyrenees  :152:

Wrong colour? Don't be so silly! :150:

dysfunctional