Author 2020 Windscreen vibration and rattle  (Read 1873 times)

• Offline herveyw   us

• XR Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Seattle
    2020 Windscreen vibration and rattle
    on: October 30, 2020, 04:29:40 pm
    October 30, 2020, 04:29:40 pm
    Just traded my Multi for a 2020 XR and am slowly rewiring my brain. The most annoying thing is that my [high] windscreen vibrates and rattles at low RPM and over bumps. I've tightened up the bolts holding the screen on, but the vibration and rattle seems to be in the lifting mechanism itself.

Is this common? Is there anything that can be done to reduce it?

• Offline scotti   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    121

Offline scotti

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR TE 2020
    • Town: Teesside
    Re: 2020 Windscreen vibration and rattle
    Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 05:15:52 pm
    October 30, 2020, 05:15:52 pm
    Mine is fine.  No help to you, other than to know something is wrong.
    Regards
    Scotti

• Offline Gothrick   gb

• XR Member  ‐    50

Offline Gothrick

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:05:59 pm
    October 30, 2020, 06:05:59 pm
     Yes it is common and has been mentioned previously in forum screen topics. I know exactly what you mean, it appears that the springs in the mechanism are not strong enough to hold the screen steady causing it to bounce when going over bumps.  Highlighted it to my dealer at first service but nothing forthcoming as regards a fix.

I've cured it to a large extent by fitting an after market screen which is taller but more importantly lighter than the original. Less pull against the springs means less bounce over bumps.

• Offline herveyw   us

• XR Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 07:37:30 pm
    October 30, 2020, 07:37:30 pm
    Thanks both.

On mine, there is play in all four of the pivot points, not sloppy, but sufficient that it would seem to be the cause of the vibration/rattle. I was thinking of packing some grease in these, but I don't see an easy way to pull the pins.

• Offline esso_sa   ba

• XR Pro  ‐    196

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
    • Town: Sarajevo
    Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 09:41:07 am
    October 31, 2020, 09:41:07 am
    *Originally Posted by Gothrick [+]
    Yes it is common and has been mentioned previously in forum screen topics. I know exactly what you mean, it appears that the springs in the mechanism are not strong enough to hold the screen steady causing it to bounce when going over bumps.  Highlighted it to my dealer at first service but nothing forthcoming as regards a fix.

I've cured it to a large extent by fitting an after market screen which is taller but more importantly lighter than the original. Less pull against the springs means less bounce over bumps.

I'm not sure that the springs mechanism is the cause.
    Mine rattled too, but it went silent when I installed MRA screen. MRA sits on rubber bushings, sandwiched between the screen and the screen mechanism. Stock screen, on the other hand, uses metal pins through which mounting bolts are screwed to the mount. I believe the rattle comes from some metal to metal contact between bolts and the pins
    Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:45:23 am by esso_sa

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    346

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 05:42:58 pm
    October 31, 2020, 05:42:58 pm
    Have the thing in my hands. Mine is rock solid on all hinges, and can't see how it could rattle. But I have a powerbronze sport screen on it. The powerbronze is 500gr, the OEM standard 800gr, and a taller&wider  screen is even heavier. The other thing is the upper and lower mounting bolts for the whole assy are only 50mm apart, and it's all plastic, also the base onto which it mounts. A tall screen will put some leverage on that mounting, and on the hinges.
    I've taken it apart as I'm not happy with the high GPS position. GPS on the bars is too low for me (and my phone sits there). Tried that  and believe it will work if you don't mind losing the shifter light and the plastic GPS lock assy. I don't, and I don't like the looks of the GPS lock.

• Offline herveyw   us

• XR Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 08:24:08 pm
    October 31, 2020, 08:24:08 pm
    *Originally Posted by Salem [+]
    Have the thing in my hands. Mine is rock solid on all hinges, and can't see how it could rattle. But I have a powerbronze sport screen on it. The powerbronze is 500gr, the OEM standard 800gr, and a taller&wider  screen is even heavier. The other thing is the upper and lower mounting bolts for the whole assy are only 50mm apart, and it's all plastic, also the base onto which it mounts. A tall screen will put some leverage on that mounting, and on the hinges.
    I've taken it apart as I'm not happy with the high GPS position. GPS on the bars is too low for me (and my phone sits there). Tried that  and believe it will work if you don't mind losing the shifter light and the plastic GPS lock assy. I don't, and I don't like the looks of the GPS lock.

I'll tinker with it some more to try to learn where the rattle is coming from and how to mitigate it.

I have the GPS prep but I doubt I will ever use it, I am not willing to pop $600USD for crappy maps. I'm already frustrated with the Connected app which gets the speed limits wrong everywhere near me (60 in a 45, 60 in a 25, etc.) and doesn't know about my local petrol station that has been there for decades. I'll probably go back to my phone on the bar mount when I figure out a clean way to power it.

dysfunctional