Author Throttle limits fault issue  (Read 1241 times)

• Offline Mtbman24   ca

• XR Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Burnaby, BC
    Throttle limits fault issue
    on: October 30, 2020, 08:48:08 pm
    October 30, 2020, 08:48:08 pm
    So this issue started after I had the run-in service:  the bike goes into "emergency mode" with "limited" throttle response (actually pretty much no throttle response) and becomes un-rideable. Turning the bike all the way off and then on again will clear the fault for a while, but it will occur again.  According to the BMW diagnostic tool, the error is with the throttle limits sensor however testing hasn't found any apparent issues with either the software or any of the modules.

The Service Manager, mechanic and myself have not been able to determine how to re-create the fault consistently, however there do seem to be at least a couple variables that seem necessary: the clutch is engaged, the engine is warmed up (cooling fans engaged) and always in gear (1st or 2nd). 

The picture is the general fault warning that the bike has gone into emergency mode. Bike was in gear when fault occurred but had to put it in neutral to take the picture!

Anyone have any ideas?  Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    My 2020 has spent more time at the shop than in my garage  :148:

I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!

• Online the bartender   ca

• XR Pro  ‐    145

Online the bartender

• XR Pro
    • Town: Vancouver
    Re: Throttle limits fault issue
    Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:02:44 am
    November 03, 2020, 02:02:44 am
    That sucks. first thing i'd verify is that the ECU is seeing proper voltage all the time, but especially when this is happening.

• Offline Mtbman24   ca

• XR Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Burnaby, BC
    Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 06:16:43 am
    November 07, 2020, 06:16:43 am
    *Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
    That sucks. first thing i'd verify is that the ECU is seeing proper voltage all the time, but especially when this is happening.

That's the first thing they checked but doesn't seem to be a power issue. At least nothing that shows up in the data.  I've had 2 false starts so far  :110:  First they thought it was loose battery cables and second time they thought it was the hillstart assist pro (manual setting conflict).  Now they are going to try swapping the clutch module and see if that fixes it but if not then they are stumped.  Whatever it is, it only causes the fault some of the time so it's very hard to pin down exactly where the problem is.
    The bright side is it's 100% warranty; down side is that I'm missed some prime autumn riding weather.   :019:
    I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!

• Online the bartender   ca

• XR Pro  ‐    145

Online the bartender

• XR Pro
    • Town: Vancouver
    Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:41:18 am
    November 10, 2020, 01:41:18 am
    well at least it was on the year that we didn't have access to any of Washington's' great roads. Next year will hopefully make up for that once the issue is resolved.

dysfunctional