Author How the new XR should be  (Read 3940 times)

• Offline Parmenion   gr

• XR Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Thessaloniki
    How the new XR should be
    on: November 01, 2020, 02:03:17 pm
    November 01, 2020, 02:03:17 pm
    Ok power is the same, weight is a little less, touring is easier with longer 4,5,6th gearing, LEDs are standard as the new generic TFT, panniers are easier to fit, but: what makes the 2020 a all new machine better than the 2015 breathtaking sport adventure bike?
    Facing the new Multistrada V4 and KTM GT is the new XR better?
    Shiftcam tech is not obviously eliminated since it emerged in a adventure oriented GS.
    We, the buyers, would like a more interesting machine.
    What do you think?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    Mario Andretti

• Offline Gothrick   gb

• XR Member  ‐    50

Offline Gothrick

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    Re: How the new XR should be
    Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 06:24:57 pm
    November 01, 2020, 06:24:57 pm
    Very much a question for the individual to answer depending on their personal criteria not those of a motoring journalist or based on published weight and performance statistics. I changed my hypersport  ZZR 1400 for the new XR and am perfectly happy. I've commented previously on the forum that existing XR owners are less likely to be impressed with the Gen2 than riders new to the model. It appears to be a case of evolution not revolution!

• Online smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Online smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 07:37:24 pm
    November 01, 2020, 07:37:24 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gothrick [+]
    Very much a question for the individual to answer depending on their personal criteria not those of a motoring journalist or based on published weight and performance statistics. I changed my hypersport  ZZR 1400 for the new XR and am perfectly happy. I've commented previously on the forum that existing XR owners are less likely to be impressed with the Gen2 than riders new to the model. It appears to be a case of evolution not revolution!

My thoughts exactly....is the new 2020/21 XR any better..?? Probably, is it worth swapping from a Gen-1...possibly not. I'm quite happy with my 17 as it's well sorted for the riding I do. I did test ride the 2020 when it first arrived and was impressed with some features such as the butter smooth quick shift, light handling and TFT etc....but it felt a tad neutered compared to my mapped and sorted '17. If I hadn't had an XR to start with, I'd be well impressed and would probably buy one.
    Truth be known, the three main rivals in this segment, the XR, KTM GT and the Multistrada are all brilliant machines, I test rode them all before deciding on the XR and would probably be happy with any of them. I did plenty of research into the forums and horror stories of exploding Ducati engines, poor KTM dealer service etc...made the decision for me. Apart from a dribbling water pump, my XR has been faultless....well happy with it. :028:

Smithy.
    Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:38:39 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline herveyw   us

• XR Pro  ‐    101

Offline herveyw

• XR Pro
    • Town: Seattle
    Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 07:58:43 pm
    November 01, 2020, 07:58:43 pm
    This is indeed a personal choice, I can only tell you my story:

I had a 2014 Multistrada 1200S with Skyhook suspension, rigged up with Motech panniers and Clearwater lights, but no exhaust or mechanical mods. I rode that bike for 6 years and had some great times on it, doing 19k miles. The 15k Desmo service cost me $2100, which was a pill to swallow. I had 6 fuel gauge sensors, one per year, and a MAP sensor failed which made the bike unrideable, $108 part. I loved that bike, it was fantastic for long mileage trips, loafing along at 4k rpm and hitting 50MPG (US).

But something broke for me in 2018: my son graduated from Uni in London and we did an Edelweiss Ultimate Alps tour; we both picked the XR to ride. It was sketchy on day 1, our training day, as it rained all day. The bloke in front of us dumped the brand new Multistrada he was riding on a cattle grid, messy. The next 11 days were sunny and warm, we did every pass through Austria, Switzerland and Italy, some roads were goat tracks. We chased a crazy New Zealander the entire tour and pushed the XR pretty hard, not once did it give us a scary moment. For me, that was quite a contrast with my Multi. Things were never the same.

So now I've traded the Multi for a 2020 XR. It feels better than the 2018 I rode, it is more agile and sure footed than my Multi, at least for me. I just think the D-ESA stuff is better than the Skyhook, plus the riding position is slighty more "over the tank" on the XR giving better feel on the front wheel; the Multi always felt light, especially under acceleration and with the really wide bars. The gotcha is that the XR is probably going to be worse for the longer haul trips I do. Yes, I can get my Motech panniers back on it, but the AUX lights suck compared with the Clearwaters, the whole GPS thing is, for me, nonsense and old hat, and the damn seat is probably going to break my arse. The Connected app can drain my phone and helmets comms in a couple of hours, punt. Overall fit and finish on the XR is better than my Multi was, but damn the plastics mark easily...

KTM are, frankly, too tall for me, I was tippy toes on the Multi, a little bit better on the XR. I did consider that the V4 Multi is coming next year, but I expect it could run $24k here and it was time for a change for me. My XR was the dealer demo, had all the packages I wanted bar adaptive lights, and I got a reasonable deal on it (well below MSRP). I have some niggles but you only have to look across the various forums to realise that's true for any bike. Overall, I'm really happy with my XR, more than anything else for me, the handling just leaves me feeling confident where I couldn't get past some sketchy moments on the Multi (they stick in your head). Both are great bikes, if you asked for high-level view, I'd say that the XR is more sport than touring, and the Multi is a little more touring than sport. Maybe the V4 will change that, you probably won't be wrong buying either one if it suits how you ride.

• Offline garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    151

Offline garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 09:18:21 pm
    November 01, 2020, 09:18:21 pm
    *Originally Posted by Parmenion [+]
    Ok power is the same, weight is a little less, touring is easier with longer 4,5,6th gearing, LEDs are standard as the new generic TFT, panniers are easier to fit, but: what makes the 2020 a all new machine better than the 2015 breathtaking sport adventure bike?
    Facing the new Multistrada V4 and KTM GT is the new XR better?
    Shiftcam tech is not obviously eliminated since it emerged in a adventure oriented GS.
    We, the buyers, would like a more interesting machine.
    What do you think?

Agree with Parmenion. The differences are impressive depending upon how many cylinders the bike posses. Owning a BMW K1600 & KTM SDGT now, I am seriously looking for a 4 cylinder ride. Yes, it must have the WOW FACTOR. Would never recommend purchasing a ride the 1st year it is released. So, the V4 MutiStrada is out. Really like the 2020 XR. The test ride did me in but, the colors are driving me away. Hopefully, will see some new color choices in the spring??

Best,

Doc :028: :028:

2021 XR Sport

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 09:41:38 pm
    November 01, 2020, 09:41:38 pm
    Looking at the size of that screen on the GT  :156: we are certainly going different routes with our GT’s  :001:

• Offline garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    151

Offline garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:00:05 pm
    November 01, 2020, 10:00:05 pm
    Yep, Sports Touring for me throughout the Appalachian Mountain chain. We usually do about 1,000 miles from Thursday to Sunday. No trailers. The KTM GT is great because you can strip it down for the track at VIR. Yep, you have to change out the front & rear sprokets for the track; 17/38 to 16/40 for the twisty's. Best,

Doc :001: :001:

Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:09:51 pm by garyculb
    2021 XR Sport

• Offline Patrick   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    4

Offline Patrick

• XR Junior
    Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 03:56:30 pm
    November 07, 2020, 03:56:30 pm
    *Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
    Would never recommend purchasing a ride the 1st year it is released. So, the V4 MutiStrada is out.[/i]

Best,

Doc :028: :028:

Huh? With a new motor and a new frame, the 2020 XR is a new model in its first year  :027:
    Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:57:24 pm by Patrick

• Offline CNC-REPAIRS   gb

• XR Member  ‐    33

Offline CNC-REPAIRS

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Kidderminster
    Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 06:35:21 pm
    November 07, 2020, 06:35:21 pm
    Well I was so interested in the V4 Ducati launch what I wanted was 200hp with loads of electronics and road handling with a single sided swing arm in a comfortable long distance  sports bike.  What they have delivered is a f@@king 170hp GS. Which after 2 years on a GS which I really enjoyed I can’t see the point unless you are going to Outer Mongolia😂😜.   
     What I want is a 200hp XR in a shift cam engine with RR TYPE handling more adjustments on the electronics with the practicality we already have. Each to their own as everybody is different.

• Offline Parmenion   gr

• XR Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Town: Thessaloniki
    Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 08:36:59 am
    November 08, 2020, 08:36:59 am
    *Originally Posted by CNC-REPAIRS [+]
    Well I was so interested in the V4 Ducati launch what I wanted was 200hp with loads of electronics and road handling with a single sided swing arm in a comfortable long distance  sports bike.  What they have delivered is a f@@king 170hp GS. Which after 2 years on a GS which I really enjoyed I can’t see the point unless you are going to Outer Mongolia😂😜.   
     What I want is a 200hp XR in a shift cam engine with RR TYPE handling more adjustments on the electronics with the practicality we already have. Each to their own as everybody is different.
    A 200 HP XR wouldn't be practical or useful on the street, maybe a 5 HP icrease would be a bonus as in the 2017 XR update.. But shiftcam SHOULD be used with cam profiles for extra low down torque, and a lower transition point than the RR's 9000 rpm, say 7000 rpm. Even the GS has shiftcam that shifts lobes at 5000 rpm, and that is definitely NOT a track bike. Or they keep the shiftcam for the M1000XR which inevitably will come at some point to compete the Multistrada Pikes Peak with 17 inch wheels.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    Mario Andretti