Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone Reading This From BMW UK  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Anyone Reading This From BMW UK
« on: November 16, 2020, 07:34:20 AM »
Would they care to explain while the second largest city in the UK still does not have a franchised Motorrad dealer after Clark’s closed all that time ago.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Anyone Reading This From BMW UK
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:39 AM »
They usually try to get the local car dealership to take on the bikes but you are encumbered by Sytner who don't seem interested in bikes. When they took over Rydale in Cardiff they closed the BMW Motorrad franchise. It then took some time to agree terms with Riders who never really got the franchise going as they seemed more interested in the Ducati brand, and BMW really do not like shared premises. M&P are supposed to be taking on the franchise in Cardiff but that seems to be delayed.

Unless BMW heavily subsidise a new franchise would it be economically viable? Would the dealer in Wolverhampton remain viable? With a political milieu briefing against petrol engines and an ageing demographic in the customer base, there is going to be a lot of contraction in motorcycle sales in the next decade.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 10:03:26 AM »
I think that unless as above - a car dealership thinks it could be a good idea to expand into bikes, then it would take someone independently wealthy (who isn't worried if he takes a bath on it) to open a Main Dealer Franchise these days.
As more and more owners run their bikes beyond the 3yr PCP popularity (all the older bikes can't be being exported) - and avoiding Main Dealer charges, then the dealerships start to become less viable.

When was the last time a new private individual - got on the Main Dealer merry go round ?

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I think that unless as above - a car dealership thinks it could be a good idea to expand into bikes, then it would take someone independently wealthy (who isn't worried if he takes a bath on it) to open a Main Dealer Franchise these days.
As more and more owners run their bikes beyond the 3yr PCP popularity (all the older bikes can't be being exported) - and avoiding Main Dealer charges, then the dealerships start to become less viable.

When was the last time a new private individual - got on the Main Dealer merry go round ?

Indeed, if Blade, a large regional bike & car group operating HD & Triumph franchises near me as well as many of the VAG car franchises cannot make a BMW Motorrad franchise work in Birmingham then that gives you an idea of the challenge afoot. Looking at posts here and a couple of other forums, it seems Cotswold & North Oxford have picked up a lot of new customers who are largely happy so maybe some BMW riders will need to get used to travelling for good quality service.

Online bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
We lost the Dorchester dealership last year so I now have to travel to Alton which isn't too bad (about 60 miles each way) but I'm surprised they haven't bothered to open a new dealership in the Bournemouth area. So far I've had good service at Alton so I'm good with it.

Online peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
  • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 12:26:10 AM »
The good news for Dorset/South Somerset current owners is CWs in Dorchester retained their official BMW Motorrad Service stamp, so you can still get it serviced locally, I'm off to Bahnstormer (Maidenhead) for a new bike later this year...  Luckily I can cope with 200 mile round trip every now and then!  Peter

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
From my observations of the bike trade from the inside, head office make the rules and dealers can like it or lump it, I expected the bike business to be move to a car dealer on the south side of the city with close motorway links and that hasn’t materialised.

If I was still moving bikes for a living then my option would be Vines, but decided that work of any kind was overrated.....which is another story, but i’m Just amazed at the black hole that BM have here in the Midlands, I hear good reports on the various dealers mentioned on here but after the demise of Clark’s thought sod it, i’ll Look after it myself which is no big deal as i’ve Done the same with older bikes I have.

Offline fozz

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000 xr se
  • Town: Somerset
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
Mines out of warranty so still using CW Dorchester for servicing, but i see there showroom is full of Royal Enfields now!! :138: