Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aye up from Devon  (Read 1703 times)

Offline chr1s

• XR Junior
  • Bike: MT10
  • Town: Wellington
Aye up from Devon
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »
Hi all,
Just joined as looking at buying the XR. I need something pillion friendly ish but still must be capable of thrills and belly aches lol...I've had an S1000R and loved it apart from the DDC...couldn't get on with it, too harsh on real roads and would have preferred just standard suspension...plus the future replacement costs if something needed replacing in that area was a scary one.... Anyway, I'm gonna need to speak with my local dealer and see if they've got the time of day for such a philistine...

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Re: Aye up from Devon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
Welcome Chris - The SE Sport with ESA etc is quite a hard ride, a lot of people comment that they'd like it a bit softer.  I don't mind it myself, coming from owning a series of sportsbikes, but many do.

So it sounds like you need the basic model that doesn't have the ESA.  Fully adjustable pre-load etc.  A lot cheaper as well.  Whether you'll find one locally to take for a test ride is another question as BMW aren't selling many non SE Sports.  But worth asking.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline chr1s

• XR Junior
  • Bike: MT10
  • Town: Wellington
Re: Aye up from Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by bagwafu [+]
Welcome Chris - The SE Sport with ESA etc is quite a hard ride, a lot of people comment that they'd like it a bit softer.  I don't mind it myself, coming from owning a series of sportsbikes, but many do.

So it sounds like you need the basic model that doesn't have the ESA.  Fully adjustable pre-load etc.  A lot cheaper as well.  Whether you'll find one locally to take for a test ride is another question as BMW aren't selling many non SE Sports.  But worth asking.

Thanks mate...yeah I'd seen today on the BMW website that it doesn't actually have DDC but, like you say, can have dynamic ESA...I'll have to speak with them but I'm sure I only want the basic one. I'm much happier tuning my own suspension to my weight and dampening preferences. I'll take what I can get for a test ride as I know I can change the suspension easily enough if the basic model isnt good enough. I've also got my eye on the latest R1200R but that's another story lol...