Author Potential new XR owner  (Read 4403 times)

• Offline kn58   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline kn58

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Town: Reading
    Potential new XR owner
    on: November 23, 2020, 03:54:14 pm
    November 23, 2020, 03:54:14 pm
    Hi All,

I am a newbie here and considering buying an XR soon and am looking for some advice from the owners here.
    I currently own a s1000r and want something a little comfortable. I test rode the GS and couldnt stand the tractorish sound and the dynamics of the bike (loved the plush suspension though) and then test rode an XR, which i immediately felt comfortable with. I was surprised how much flickable it was even more than my 2015 R.
    Looks like XR is the one that i will go for. I am looking at different options to buy but cant make up my mind and cant really decide between a PCP and a HP. I have been quoted £17900 for the TE version with a 6.9 % apr for both HP and PCp. Is this a good offer? I cant really tell as dont have much experience of buying new.  I want to get the cheapest overall option, what do normally people go for if they plan to keep the bike for 3 to 4 years.
    I love the Akrapovich on my R which pops and bangs on the overruns etc and i am in love with that, does the XR akra sound the same? The XR that I test rode had the standard exhaust which sounded a bit boring and neutered so I am really hoping that the sports silencer improves that.
    Also what is the cheapest way to buy the garmin Nav, through the dealer or somewhere else?
    Thanks in advance.

• Offline jakebake   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    135

Offline jakebake

• XR Pro
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: warwick
    Re: Potential new XR owner
    Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:49:14 pm
    November 23, 2020, 05:49:14 pm
    Have you tried the gen 1 XR ?

In my opinion, whilst the gen 2 is  undoubtedly a  great bike,  the gen 1  is more  fun to ride  :001:

• Offline kn58   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline kn58

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:08 pm
    November 23, 2020, 06:03:08 pm
    No I havent because i was put off by all the stories related to vibrations etc.

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:10:02 pm
    November 23, 2020, 07:10:02 pm
    *Originally Posted by kn58 [+]
    No I havent because i was put off by all the stories related to vibrations etc.

Gen-1 XR has exactly the same engine as your old R....vibrations will be similar.....although they differ from one XR to another and rider to rider. Some people bitch and complain about it, some others don't really care....it's an inline 4 engine with no balance shafts, it's gunna vibrate to some degree.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:55:37 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:38 pm
    November 23, 2020, 07:13:38 pm
    I’m not a subscriber to I own XYZ it’s the best thing since sliced bread....if you have ridden an X/R of your choice then i’d Also have a go on a Multistrada and a KTM GT and then make your mind up, there’s at least two of us on here that own 2 of the 3 mentioned and a good case can be made for all of them.

As for how to aquire one of the said bikes....I’m way too old fashioned......I’m sure someone will be along to explain the virtues of PCP  :012:

• Offline kn58   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline kn58

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 07:18:43 pm
    November 23, 2020, 07:18:43 pm
    I have tested the multistrada last year but I don't like the twin engines unfortunately so my options are limited in this regard. The only other option I can think of is the versys 1000 but I'm not a fan of its looks.

Judging by the comments I am getting the feeling that not many people are keen on the new XR. 🤔

• Offline Remo83   be

• XR Pro  ‐    157

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
    • Prepare for the worst, hope for the best
    • Bike: S1000XR GEN2 red
    Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 07:49:19 pm
    November 23, 2020, 07:49:19 pm
    Hi,

The new XR has plusher suspension, more linear torque, a nice TFT, but no crackles and pops, no matter the exhaust. It is in general more civilized.
    There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different machine compared to gen 1  :002:.
    By the way, Ducati just released the V4 Multi, it may be worth a test ride.
    Yamaha has also just presented the updated Tracer 9, also worth a look.

Remo

• Offline Speedy   us

• XR Pro  ‐    265

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
    • Town: Atlanta
    Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 08:01:03 pm
    November 23, 2020, 08:01:03 pm
    I'm biased, but Gen 1 is the way to go.  Put it in Dynamic and you get plenty of pops and crackles - Really sounds great, with no Akra needed!!  IMHO, the new one is a bit too soft, but I'll admit I've never ridden the new one, just talked with folks that have.

Buy a Nav 5 or 6 used, here.  I have a Nav 5 available, but it's a US model so not what you need.  Ebay is also a good option.
    2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
    2018 BMW R1200RT Carbon Black Metallic - Current

Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com

• Offline kn58   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline kn58

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 08:38:46 pm
    November 23, 2020, 08:38:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
    Hi,

The new XR has plusher suspension, more linear torque, a nice TFT, but no crackles and pops, no matter the exhaust. It is in general more civilized.
    There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different machine compared to gen 1  :002:.
    By the way, Ducati just released the V4 Multi, it may be worth a test ride.
    Yamaha has also just presented the updated Tracer 9, also worth a look.

Remo

The v4 multi does look interesting but will never consider yamaha since iv had an appalling experience with them just for arranging a test ride for mt10 (that I never managed). I don't even want to think about how would they be like if i had a problem with my bike.

• Offline kn58   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline kn58

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 08:40:14 pm
    November 23, 2020, 08:40:14 pm
    *Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
    I'm biased, but Gen 1 is the way to go.  Put it in Dynamic and you get plenty of pops and crackles - Really sounds great, with no Akra needed!!  IMHO, the new one is a bit too soft, but I'll admit I've never ridden the new one, just talked with folks that have.

Buy a Nav 5 or 6 used, here.  I have a Nav 5 available, but it's a US model so not what you need.  Ebay is also a good option.

The only thing that is stopping me to get a gen 1 is the lack of tft which I think is a great addition to the new model.

dysfunctional