Author Modded my Vario windshield –  (Read 1527 times)

• Offline Dutch   us

• XR Member  ‐    69
    • Topic Author

Offline Dutch

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: NorthernMichigan
    Modded my Vario windshield –
    on: November 24, 2020, 02:15:15 am
    November 24, 2020, 02:15:15 am
    Had a three-day opportunity to sneak out to my favorite riding area. It’s an 8-hour ride from home, 6 of those hours, I-75 freeway. My MRA Vario is a quality set-up that I’ve been mostly happy with - in the lower position - in the upper position the wind coming in at chest level, removed any advantages from raising it up. In my shop I keep the remains of past windshields – there was the upper portion of a FJR1300 windshield. I trimmed it down to fill the space below the Vario – put two half round grooves onto the top to locate on the mount pins of the Vario. The entire thing is held in place with two nylon wire-ties. The black foam at the bottom came from a computer shipping box and keeps the front pressed down secure. The temperature was in the 40’s leaving home – mid 60’s the next day – 40’s on the way home that third day. Total mileage was just over 1200 miles. The change in the Vario is night and day - no rubbing, no marks anywhere – works in both positions. It is now a permanent addition . . .

• Online Remo83   be

• XR Pro  ‐    157

Online Remo83

• XR Pro
    • Prepare for the worst, hope for the best
    • Bike: S1000XR GEN2 red
    Re: Modded my Vario windshield –
    Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 06:58:41 am
    November 24, 2020, 06:58:41 am
    Hi,

Congrats with some great diy work.
    I'm so clumsy the result would fly into my face the first time I tested it, so am envious of people who do have skills 😊.

All the best,

Remo

• Offline Dutch   us

• XR Member  ‐    69
    • Topic Author

Offline Dutch

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: NorthernMichigan
    Re: Modded my Vario windshield –
    Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:00:15 pm
    November 24, 2020, 03:00:15 pm
    “Necessity is the mother of invention” applies here. It is a simple design/solution – that’s what is most impressive.
    I did this the day before I was leaving, knowing if something went wrong – I’d cut it loose and throw it in the garbage.
    Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:04:22 pm by Dutch

dysfunctional