Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2020 Seat  (Read 2303 times)

Offline DerekA

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Hertford
2020 Seat
on: November 25, 2020, 07:49:39 AM
Hi I’ve done about 1000 miles on my new XR and am finding the seat a real challenge! I had 2018 XR with an HP seat which was great. My dealer kindly got a comfort seat (£400+) in for me but having sat on it in the showroom I really struggled to find any difference so decided not to buy it. I have since had my seat re-padded but still not great. Has anyone on here tried the comfort seat?

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
Re: 2020 Seat
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 11:39:35 AM
*Originally Posted by DerekA [+]
Hi I’ve done about 1000 miles on my new XR and am finding the seat a real challenge! I had 2018 XR with an HP seat which was great. My dealer kindly got a comfort seat (£400+) in for me but having sat on it in the showroom I really struggled to find any difference so decided not to buy it. I have since had my seat re-padded but still not great. Has anyone on here tried the comfort seat?

I guess we are all different - I'm finding the 2020 seat to be very comfortable...
BMW S1000XR TE

Online SMXR

• XR Member
  • Town: Solihull
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 12:00:31 PM
I know this is going to sound a bit weird, but I found I had to slightly change my seated posture on my new 2021 XR compared to old Triple Black.
Initially I thought "chuffin' 'ell, I'm not happy about this", but as I pushed myself more upright away from the bars, in a more "GS rider-mode" I have found the seat to be absolutely fine. 200+ miles on a Sunday and no problems. 3k miles done now and I'm lovin it.
It is a different bike, and won't suit all, and many Gen 1 owners don't want to change, and many new model owners may go for a re-modelled/change of seat - but hey, it would be boring if we were all the same  :821:

Offline 35col

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Aberdeenish
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
Try Saddle Craft in South Shields, they did mine. I bought it already done so don't know what was asked for but it's a lot better than std, less restrictive if you want to move about more

Col

Offline bmsouls

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s 1000 xr
  • Town: Northumberland
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 04:17:42 PM
Hi mines going to saddlecraft as soon as i get time to go its the only thing that spoils the bike,have you got a photo of your seat :305:

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:07:36 PM
I have the high seat and had it adjusted,  mainly increasing the front by 20mm to avoid  the sliding feeling. Cost me a whopping €70, and nicely done. The person poked his finger in the original seat and said  immediately if this is ok for you and you want it higher I need to order different foam, can you leave it for a week.  On the old XR I had a custom design, copy of this luimoto, but also with increased sitting height, and inclusive a gelpad. Nice but gelpad is heavy, the seat is not watertight so the foam soaks up water, and the (none functional) stitches started to wear out after20k km. And a gelpad in the sun is no fun either.  I'm back to keep it simple.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:23 AM
I expect there will be more third party seats on the way, especially as so many don’t like the seat on the 2020 model. I didn’t like it when I test rode it in the summer, there’s really only one position to sit and it doesn’t encourage shuffling around. You could just throw an Airhawk on it. I use one of those on my 2016 XR for long rides and if I test ride the 2020 again I will try it with that. 

Offline Bleo

• XR Junior
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 10:58:19 PM
I'm curious if there have been any developments on this front? I'm going to pick up my new 2021 tomorrow and after test riding a 2020 with the standard seat it is definitely too low for me after a recent double hip surgery. I want to sit higher to reduce the flexion on my hips. I called Corbin today to ask about 2020+ support and they said they intend to add a seat but they are waiting for someone to loan them a bike to base it off of. The airhawk pad may be a reasonable temporary compromise, thanks @Becksy for that recommendation!

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 03:04:55 AM
Wunderlich, Sargent, Corbin, do not yet have seats for the 2020 XR, but they will.  An Airhawk cushion might have to do for now.

This is one hell of a difficult bike to get a seat.  I think the way the frame is shaped plus the gas tank makes for a very small area for 3rd party manufacturers to work at shaping a seat.  The height of the seat is a problem, too.  A really well shaped seat would be about 34" high!!!

My experience is on a 2019, but I test rode the 2020 and found the seat situation to be the same.

Offline WildBill

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Pensacola Beach
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 12:51:35 PM
Hope to be picking up the first Sargent seat next week, My XR was used this summer for their prototype and development..

dysfunctional