Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Power Commander (again.)  (Read 1303 times)

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 S1000XR
  • Town: Mid Wales.
Power Commander (again.)
on: November 27, 2020, 11:46:12 AM
Hi guys, so I've touched on this before but want to ask again for a different scenario so bear with me  :440:

I really find the uneven running and surging on my 2017 XR almost unbearable, especially with a pillion. I just had it serviced and asked the dealer to check it out and he says its fine, usual for the bike. So my question is, if I fitted a PC5 without changing front pipes is it going to make any difference? I'm not looking for any performance increase just a smoother ride. I have a Leo Vince end can and would also change the air filter. I have got the PC5 and filter that I managed to get second hand but having looked at how much work is involved I would like to know if anybody has done the change and if its worth the hassle, from what I understand its the later Euro4 bikes that are worse.

Thanks, Phil
Too many bikes, not enough time.....

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Power Commander (again.)
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 04:25:08 PM
There is a post on here somewhere.... few years back got stuck behind a tractor towing a trailer in France, and while I have a list of speeding convictions as long as your arm I wouldn't cross a double white line if my life depended on it... so after that waffle I ended up for miles going from 3rd to 4th gear and back for the best part of half and hour and when we got home finally got off my backside and did something about it,fuelling that is...

When you look at the map ignore the HP it's the level fuel/air line that tells the story 25mph in top gear and it'll pull from that two up and well...

Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 04:25:48 PM by Winger

Offline Warree

• XR Pro
  • Town: Pembury
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 05:34:20 PM
Winger, is that after custom tune or PC5 please? 

Offline Winger

• XR God
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 05:58:38 PM
It’s a PC5 with a custom map.

I’m sure i’ve posted Such before...but 10 years ago piggy back fuelling was all but finished, the TUV then dug their heals in and forced manufactures to produce ECU’s that could not be hacked, it has now gone full circled again, but.... I have a bike with a re-mapped ECU and to honest I prefer the slightly softer feel of a PC.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:09:33 PM
RBE does pretty much the same thing as the PC-5, top gear, 2k rpm and it will pull away cleanly. Low rpm, low gear low throttle situations are also much better.....but l have Arrow headers, Delkevic muffler and a sprint air filter.

Smithy. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 03:40:21 PM
Maybe its worth a go then, I assume I need to physically remove the tank once I get to it, what is the fuel line connection? does it come apart easy. I believe I also need something extra to the PC for the O2 sensors, I guess I'll have to talk to Dynojet on that one.

Thanks,
Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:56:02 PM by PhilMill

Online SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 05:11:27 PM
tank is pretty straight forward! Obviously a whole bunch of panels need to come off, then there is a long bolt(10mm socket) at the rear and a bolt each side(torx30), remove the overflow pipes at the front and list the tank up slowly. The fuel line is a quick connect and there are 2 electrical connectors that have tabs that need pulling out before you can disconnect them.

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 07:28:48 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
tank is pretty straight forward! Obviously a whole bunch of panels need to come off, then there is a long bolt(10mm socket) at the rear and a bolt each side(torx30), remove the overflow pipes at the front and list the tank up slowly. The fuel line is a quick connect and there are 2 electrical connectors that have tabs that need pulling out before you can disconnect them.

Great, thanks, all the panels are now off, just need to take the tank off tomorrow. at least I can give the bike a good clean now  :164:

Offline Winger

• XR God
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 08:26:16 PM
Talking to Richard at Dynojet will do you no harm particularly when he knows you are genuinely going to buy a PC, they’ll blow you a map in te boot to get you going,it’s really straight forward just follow the clues that come in the box, which in reality is just taking some connectors apart and fitting the PC ones in either part.

A PC cuts off the O2 internally,so you take them off/leave them on makes no difference, I just found when fitting the Akra headers cleaned up the layout instead having wires hanging down, but have no doubt things will be different the low down fuelling is a transformation.

It’s only when you have fitted and run the bike you realise how us bikers have been conned with this lamba lark, they are all about turning the world green, but the TUV persuaded us it about performance and trying to find the perfect fuelling.....and it’s only then the penny drops...do you ever see lambas on a race bike!!!!

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 08:58:04 PM
I will call them to figure this out, below is the bit taken from the Dynojet website referring to the later bikes.

BMWS1000XR2017
Note: 2017-2018 Model require two O2 Controller (Part number: 76125078) Sold Separately