Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Do I have a water pump leak?  (Read 792 times)

Offline GlenM

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: NE PENNSYLVANIA
Do I have a water pump leak?
on: December 01, 2020, 12:23:17 AM

The last couple of rides  I've been getting a strong burnt rubber smell after stopping. For the life of me I can't  find anything wrong except maybe if the water pump  is leaking out the bottom weep hole and going onto the cat. I'm not loosing coolant that I can notice. The only thing is if the pictured weep hole isn't  normal?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Do I have a water pump leak?
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 02:06:39 AM
Very common for them to leak from the weep hole, some leak coolant, some leak oil, some leak both, If you own an XR and don't know about this issue, you must have been living under a rock.....The XR, R and RR from 2010 onwards all suffered the same thing until the introduction of the new engine. If the bike is still under warranty, have it back to your dealer so they can fit another pump, only for it to leak again. Some poor buggers have had several pumps. The only real answer is to get one of these..

https://www.hsbkracing.com/parts-and-apparel/bmw/s-1000-rr/engine/jetprime-bmw-s1000rr-xr-r-cnc-enlarged-water-pump-2009-to-2018/

Smithy.
Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:10:45 AM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:48:34 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Some poor buggers have had several pumps. The only real answer is to get one of these..
Smithy.

Yep, I'm on my fourth pump.  Seems to be ok at the moment.

Offline tor

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 18 XR / 15 GSA
  • Town: Pee Dee of SC
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 08:41:54 PM
Thats not a bad leak, yet. Yes I've had mine replaced as well.

Offline daverobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 12:58:43 PM
Yep u got the dreaded XR water pump issue, and it will only get worse I’m afraid , BMW will replace it under warranty , mine was replaced and touch wood new one not leaking , but not done much on it since replacement.
This has been a massive problem for BMW but disappointingly they have failed to accept that they need to do a re-call and replace all pumps with one that doesn't leak 🤬🤬

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:27:48 PM
*Originally Posted by daverobo [+]
This has been a massive problem for BMW but disappointingly they have failed to accept that they need to do a re-call and replace all pumps with one that doesn't leak 🤬🤬

I think the problem is the fact that they don't have one of the appropriate type that doesn't leak...it's been the same since 2010 when the RR was first released. Thankfully they fixed it with the 2020+ XR.....but their water pump is internal and intergral with the oil pump.... and if it leaks I don't know what will happen..!

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!