Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: towing xr on a trailer  (Read 1263 times)

Offline gtbusa

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Town: alfreton
Re: towing xr on a trailer
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 02:05:05 PM
hi scotti,good point but no problem with licence

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 05:48:07 PM
Hmmmmm

This is where things get complicated...my preference has always been strapping a bike down so you have some compression on the suspension, because if you haven’t you end with two very  secure wheels and a pogo stick above them, and then you end up with the trailer doing one thing and the bike Sus doing another, and why after years of racing an enduro bike, my preference has always been a van, even before I was getting paid....but hey its a learning process and preferable not learning the hard way, and I would certainly do some practice try outs before hand.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 08:30:56 PM
It might not have been clear from my posts - but the rear wheel is clamped in the side-side direction, and the front wheel clamped to the forward guide.

The sprung frame is secured in side-side direction and  front-back direction,  (from frame points under the seat and rear rack) with the side-side straps compressing the suspension some.

The wheel clamps are low down, so do not provide sufficient moment about the tyre contact with the guides - to hold the bike upright in bends.

Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:35:44 PM by Mareng1

Offline Docxr

• XR Junior
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 02:51:26 PM
Thank you for starting this thread OP, had same question

One thing is how do you know how much tension to put on the tie downs if  strapping down the bottom fork clamp. With electronic suspension what is a safe bet?

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 03:47:12 PM
Don't strap it down tighter than you would if sitting on it. 

Remember - most of what you are doing is stopping it from falling over due to centrifugal force on bends.    So - you want some hard-points on the frame/forks as high up as is possible, and secure to the cargo hooks on the trailer as far out as possible. (as such - the vertical constiuent force is much less than what you are pulling)  You're not trying to prevent it from escaping the earth's gravitational pull  :028: - just keep it in place in the horizontal plane.

Offline Docxr

• XR Junior
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 06:01:53 PM
 :028: awesome, thank you.