Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: New Lithium Battery  (Read 2052 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
New Lithium Battery
on: December 01, 2020, 06:00:36 PM
I need a new battery for my 2019 XR and was going to buy a lithium battery. What is the best battery to install ? Shido look good - are they ok?  :305:
PSH

Offline Warree

• XR Pro
  • Town: Pembury
Re: New Lithium Battery
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 06:17:27 PM
This one is listed for the XR and very good in my experience. I am Lithium addicted now and got one for my Gixxer too   :062:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248949
Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:18:13 PM by Warree

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:06:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Warree [+]
This one is listed for the XR and very good in my experience. I am Lithium addicted now and got one for my Gixxer too   :062:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248949

Thanks - was looking at that one. Do you need a lithium charger?
PSH

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:40:48 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Do you need a lithium charger?

I've had this discussion many times, some people say you should have a lithium specific charger, some (including myself) don't.....Our 15-19 model bikes never came with a lithium battery as standard... and have normal Pb charging systems. If the Lithium battery needs a "Lithium Specific" charger, it wouldn't work in our bikes. Most new Lithium batteries now come with internal circuitry to allow them to work with normal Pb chargers, which is why they're essentially "plug 'n play".

With my '17 XR, the original Pb battery bike lasted all of two weeks, dropped a cell, they're known for being junk. BMW replaced it under warranty but I never fitted it and gave it to my neighbor. I then bought myself an SSB 290CCA Lithium battery, 1/4 the weight and 2/3 the size of the original...haven't thought about it since and has been faultless...turns over like a sewing machine. Just be aware, Lithium batteries run at a slightly higher standing voltage than a regular Pb battery. I have an onboard voltmeter and with engine off it reads ~13.1-2v and ~14.7-8v with engine running. Normal Pb batteries run ~12.6v and 14.2v respectively.

JMHO.

Smithy. 
Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:43:15 PM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:44:24 PM
It’s the desulphate mode in modern day chargers what knacker lithium’s up,hence why if you have a Stone Age battery charger their fine but the new stuff isn’t, hence why i’d Buy the right charger.

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:43:30 PM
Hey Paul,

Why do you need a new battery for your 2019 bike?  Is it dead already from normal use, or something else...
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2018 BMW R1200RT Carbon Black Metallic - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 09:26:16 AM
I posted this elsewhere and was a bit surprised by it, but the MK1 came with two size batteries, hence the bracket that holds the battery in has two positions. A small one and a larger one that is recommended when you have the alarm fitted  :084:

When I picked mine up I had the alarm fitted to it, but it has the small battery. I am guessing that the standard small battery doesn't like being unused with an alarm fitted?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:44:58 AM
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
I posted this elsewhere and was a bit surprised by it, but the MK1 came with two size batteries, hence the bracket that holds the battery in has two positions. A small one and a larger one that is recommended when you have the alarm fitted  :084:

When I picked mine up I had the alarm fitted to it, but it has the small battery. I am guessing that the standard small battery doesn't like being unused with an alarm fitted?

Either one of the original batteries are junk...a few last ok, most fail early and some fail straight away.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline StuB

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 11:34:14 AM
Must admit, my OEM battery lasted over 3 and a half years. Kept it topped up with an Optimate 4

Now I run a Lithium, never looked back

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 12:22:43 PM
I still have the oem battery on my 16 model no issues so far. I do have an Optimate that is connected to the bike sometimes