Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: S1000xr 2019  (Read 823 times)

Offline Leemallon

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW s1000xr
S1000xr 2019
on: December 01, 2020, 06:02:17 PM
Hello all, anyone had any dealings with the SW Motech adv trax side aluminium side carriers and top box. I’m not sure I’m getting it wrong but they have told me they are bike specific so cannot be transferred. I can understand the mounting frames but surely not the cases. Anyone know if this is the case? Thanks in advance

Offline Colin

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Re: S1000xr 2019
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 06:36:54 PM
Sorry can’t help there but does seem odd, I went for the Givi pannier set as they have a quick release fixing frame which take 3 half turns of a T bar each side to remove the frames. I would recommend this if you don’t like the sight of the pannier frame/hangers on the bike when not using the panniers.

Offline Leemallon

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:49:55 PM
Thanks Colin,
Will have a look at the Givi range

Offline Colin

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 02:22:13 PM
If you are interested in GivI - I see Gaz3014 Is selling his Givi panniers and quick release rack system under ‘The Marketplace’ ?

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 03:02:55 AM
*Originally Posted by Leemallon [+]
Hello all, anyone had any dealings with the SW Motech adv trax side aluminium side carriers and top box. I’m not sure I’m getting it wrong but they have told me they are bike specific so cannot be transferred. I can understand the mounting frames but surely not the cases. Anyone know if this is the case? Thanks in advance

Late here, but its not entirely true: I just put the Trax ADV panniers I had on my Multi onto my XR this weekend. What is true is that the carriers are bike specific to match mounting points on each bike. So if you change bike, you just have to buy the matching carriers. USD325 for the Pro Side Carriers for a 2020 XR, but way cheaper than buying a full set including the cases.

Anyone want carriers for a 2014 Ducati Multistrada...?

Offline Leemallon

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 06:54:50 AM
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that was the case, seems a bit extreme to not be able to transfer when you are looking at around £1500 quid for panniers and the too box. It put me off buying them. They look a nice bit of kit.

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 07:23:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Leemallon [+]
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that was the case, seems a bit extreme to not be able to transfer when you are looking at around £1500 quid for panniers and the too box. It put me off buying them. They look a nice bit of kit.

Originally I wanted Givi for my Multi as they were a bit cheaper (not by much) but Givi didn't make a kit, so I went with Motech. Each pannier runs around USD465 (GBP344 today) so they are spendy to replace and, honestly, if Motech hadn't come out with the Pro Carrier for the 2020 XR so I could transfer them I would have had a hard time selling my better half on shelling out USD1500 for new luggage on top of the bike. I also coughed up USD134 for their adventure rack to replace the BMW top box mount as I prefer soft luggage.

My favourite thing? They are top opening, and the lid comes right off on the ADV version. I did a couple of trips up into Canada with the side opening panniers on my Multi and got seriously pissed off with all my stuff being on the floor whenever I opened them. Never again. I wrote this on another thread, but you should know that I cannot get the bike on its main stand with the panniers mounted and empty: a little less room to maneuver and I can't get enough leverage on the stand itself. I'm around 12 stone without gear. YMMV.

dysfunctional