Author Topic: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR  (Read 3177 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#20

Offline Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3035
  • Town: Birmingham
  • Country: gb
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 09:12:15 AM
*Originally Posted by rs87 [+]
Without intentionally meaning to hijack the OPs thread, I was just looking at buying a GS911 and given this thread, it seems pointless starting a new one.

For a 2019 model, you guys can confirm that I'd need the GS911 with the OBD-II connector, right?

Any opinions on wifi vs usb versions? It seems the former would be very useful in the garage as it can be connected to a phone instead of needing to lug a laptop outside. Is it worth the price premium?

Smithy has covered all the angles and some....where it gets a tad complicated...look at the majority of posters on this thread and they ain’t Brits....over here if you have a fairly modern bike with no official dealer history when it comes to selling you are on a dodgy path.

Mine has ‘some’ dealer history and I bought my GS-911WIFI  for brake fluid and service light, work it off an IPad and it never comes out of the garage and when the time comes to sell it’ll be worth peanuts, but if you are on the ‘Change e’m regular’ tread mill I see little point in such, you phone the RAC or AA and they take it to a dealer.

#21

Offline rs87

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
  • Country: gb
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 12:56:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Smithy has covered all the angles and some....where it gets a tad complicated...look at the majority of posters on this thread and they ain’t Brits....over here if you have a fairly modern bike with no official dealer history when it comes to selling you are on a dodgy path.

Mine has ‘some’ dealer history and I bought my GS-911WIFI  for brake fluid and service light, work it off an IPad and it never comes out of the garage and when the time comes to sell it’ll be worth peanuts, but if you are on the ‘Change e’m regular’ tread mill I see little point in such, you phone the RAC or AA and they take it to a dealer.

Oh yeah - totally agreed.

I do get my bike serviced by the dealer at the recommended intervals. In this case, the dealer serviced it just before I bought it and put the service record in the log. The service was early by a couple of months, so they didn't reset the indicator. Now it's showing up, but another service isn't due for at least 7 months, so resetting the indicator is neutral in terms of service history. I don't want to pay the dealer just to reset an annoying service indicator.

My other usage would be as Smithy describes - if there is an issue on the road, determining whether or not the bike can be ridden safely.

I don't generally change my bikes regularly. I buy them cash, ride them for 6 or 7 years and assume at the end of that period that they're worthless anyway

#22

Offline Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3035
  • Town: Birmingham
  • Country: gb
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 03:42:46 PM
Only other solution...go onto eBay UK plenty of guys on there with 911 Pro’s and they’ll do what you want...find one local last time I looked was 25/30 quid.

#23

Online smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1764
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
  • Country: au
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 07:55:53 PM
*Originally Posted by rs87 [+]
Oh yeah - totally agreed.

I do get my bike serviced by the dealer at the recommended intervals. In this case, the dealer serviced it just before I bought it and put the service record in the log. The service was early by a couple of months, so they didn't reset the indicator. Now it's showing up, but another service isn't due for at least 7 months, so resetting the indicator is neutral in terms of service history. I don't want to pay the dealer just to reset an annoying service indicator.

My other usage would be as Smithy describes - if there is an issue on the road, determining whether or not the bike can be ridden safely.

I don't generally change my bikes regularly. I buy them cash, ride them for 6 or 7 years and assume at the end of that period that they're worthless anyway

If all you want to do is check/erase fault codes and reset the service indicator, a GS-911 is way overkill....just get yourself Motoscan, (Ultimate edition), with the OBD-Link MX/LX and you'll be golden.

If you wish to be able to do all your own servicing, quick-shift resets, ABS module/brake system bleeds, throttle body calibrations etc... and the full aray of diagnostic work... the GS-911 is a good option. I do "ALL" my own servicing work as I don't trust anyone...and the GS-911 is indeed a good investment for me.

I find Motoscan quite useful for resetting service lights and reading fault codes for riding mates local to me.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

#24

Offline profpatpending

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Norfolk UK
  • Country: gb
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 08:24:09 PM
Have 2016 S1000XR- quoted £350 for valve clearance check only, +£150 if shims needed changing + Shims (~£5 each). (filters, oil, plugs etc extra)
decided my retired time was less valuable than the £500 or so the service was going to cost.
Resettting Service Indicator:-
Need OBDL LinkMX+ (£96 Ebay)-(I got Model MX201 from OBD Solutions LLC)
Motoscan Professional or Ultimate (£22 to £36- Google Play Store) (Note: only Android App, NOT IOS)- Standard Free App is not much use- merely proves it works. Incidentally there is a Mac Android emulator which allows you to download the Standard App, but the Bluetooth doesn't connect, so that was a blind alley for this Apple Fanboy- I had to acquire an old Android phone to get it all working.
Round OBD adapter to standard (£13 Ebay)- why do BMW do this?
These prices May 2021
When it's all working, log into "Instrument cluster" for Resetting Service

#25

Online smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1764
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
  • Country: au
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 10:08:22 PM
*Originally Posted by profpatpending [+]
Have 2016 S1000XR...Round OBD adapter to standard (£13 Ebay)- why do BMW do this?

Your 2016 XR is "Euro-3" and as such has the round 10pin plug, the (Euro-4), interface is not required. Only the 17-19 models (Euro-4) and the 2020+ (Euro-5) have the OBD-II interface.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

#26

Offline wood

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 34
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Atlanta
  • Country: us
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 01:55:50 AM
Slightly off-topic but somewhat related.  I have the GS-911 device and software for my 2019 K1600GTL.  Works great.  When I asked about downloading and paying for the software file for my S1000XR - they said I would have to pay for a whole new HARDWARE device AND software. That is BS!

At most, I am very willing to pay for a software file for my S1000XR, but I should not have to pay for a whole new hardware device - I already have one.

Has anyone else had to buy multiple hardware devices for multiple bikes?

Thanks

#27

Online SimonUK

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 796
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
  • Country: us
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 03:31:21 AM
*Originally Posted by wood [+]
Slightly off-topic but somewhat related.  I have the GS-911 device and software for my 2019 K1600GTL.  Works great.  When I asked about downloading and paying for the software file for my S1000XR - they said I would have to pay for a whole new HARDWARE device AND software. That is BS!

At most, I am very willing to pay for a software file for my S1000XR, but I should not have to pay for a whole new hardware device - I already have one.

Has anyone else had to buy multiple hardware devices for multiple bikes?

Thanks

Who the Feck told you that??  just plug your GS911 Into your XR. The GS911 is not for a specific bike.

I bought my GS911 and have used it on S1000R, S1000XR, R1200GS, R1250GS, F700GS, K1300S. I have neither bought nor downloaded any specific software for a model!

#28

Offline wood

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 34
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Atlanta
  • Country: us
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 03:40:47 AM
My mistake - I was reading multiple threads and replied wrong.

The Bren Tune device requires separate hardware machines for each bike.  You are right, the GS-911 will read each individual bike and provide an appropriate diagnostic.

Sorry for the erroneous comments.

#29

Offline Colin

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 143
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
  • Country: gb
Re: How to reset service lights on 2020 S 1000 XR
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 08:39:52 AM
*Originally Posted by wood [+]
My mistake - I was reading multiple threads and replied wrong.

The Bren Tune device requires separate hardware machines for each bike.  You are right, the GS-911 will read each individual bike and provide an appropriate diagnostic.

Sorry for the erroneous comments.
When I purchased my Brentune I asked if the handheld could be used on different bikes, the answer was yes but only one at a time, apparently you have to reset the current bike back to stock and then start again with the file downloads/uploads with the new bike whis as you say is a bit BS.

 



dysfunctional