Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Fork oil in non DDC  (Read 525 times)

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 XR
  • Town: Incheon City
Fork oil in non DDC
on: December 19, 2020, 07:12:28 AM
Hello,
Was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on fork oil viscosity in replacement manual cartridges. I am considering Ktech 5w, 20cst@40deg. 
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
Enjoy my XR videos

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
Re: Fork oil in non DDC
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:01:27 PM
try it and see if you like it. if you don't try something different. somewhere out on the net is a viscosity chart for the fork oils so you can compare  cst's of fork oils.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 09:42:48 PM
OK pull up a chair are you paying attention  :001: and yea despite not yet having done mine yet thought I better pay attention as well  :156:

X/R Non ESA front forks are 660ml per leg, and the fork level when measured is 110mm.

Now this is where it gets complicated (ish) the oil used is BMW telescopic fork oil type 2... now it used to be 7.5W but BM have changed the spec and now if you buy it....it comes spec’d 11.5W so the theory goes you can use any 11.5W fork oil...

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 10:39:43 PM
the viscosity of fork oil will change the way the forks feel. thicker will usually slow down the compression and rebound and thinner will make it faster. think about when you leave on a cold morning how stiff you suspension feels but then later after its warmed up and the oil is temp how it feels normal. same thing cold is thick and makes it slow down compression making it feel stiff. so if the stock oil in your forks makes them feel to soft you can get a thicker oil to help stiffen it up. you can also mess with the air gap to but it has a different effect on how the suspension feels. a smaller air gap would make the the forks a little stiffer but only while loading them.

dysfunctional