Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Shift Lever fell off!!!  (Read 1562 times)

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
Gear Shift Lever fell off!!!
« on: April 07, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »
Just thought I should write a post about this one......riding home the other night in the usual, busy Houston city traffic,  in the middle of a 6 lane intersection,  I reached for another gear and......nothing.(!)  I looked down and saw my gearshift lever flopping around like a fish out of water.  Luckily i was able to chug it over to an empty parking lot nearby.

Here's what happened...I guess Herman had to many Warsteiners at lunch and forgot to tighten the pinch bolt from the selector rod/splined input shaft of the gearbox to the correct torque...OR, this was a fault at the dealer that I bought it from.  I am not sure if that is part of dealer prep or not.  It only took about 30 seconds to fix.  Once I got the tool kit out and found the 10mm, slapped it back on and tightened it.  Riding home the Gear shift assist pro felt a little different.  Upon further inspection, there is a mark on the spline face of the selector that -  I assume- should match up with the split of the pinch bolt.  Once I did that, it feels correct now.

My bike only has 400 miles on it.  In the back of my mind, I figured I would have to do a nut-and-bolt on the whole bike, but I didn't expect the damn thing to fall off.  Just thought I would let you guys know and maybe check yours.
Still love the bike.  Can't wait to unleash the break-in limit.

Offline RoadRunner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Peoria
Re: Gear Shift Lever fell off!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:43:10 AM »
Glad you didn't loose it!  Stuff happens and humans can screwup sometimes; however, the XR is rock solid and will provide you miles of smiles. :001: