Author Topic: Disabling/removing exhaust servo on 2020 S1000XR?  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR GEN2 red
Re: Disabling/removing exhaust servo on 2020 S1000XR?
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 08:39:20 AM
*Originally Posted by Chicane46 [+]
yesterday pulled out the cables first it went well but as soon as the engine gets warmer an error message came up. I don't feel like removing the entire servo motor, I can just unplug the plugs and plug in the servo eliminator plug. does no one have pictures of the act?

Hi,

does anyone have an answer for the above question? I just had an offer made for a bright red 21 XR, as I like what they have done with the new one, except for the lack of decent sound I noticed during my recent test ride with it. The German forums are talking about a company called RSE that brings back the rumble we had on the Gen 1 model in Dynamic mode, but as usual, a dealer ECU update will call for a reflash. So the easier the solution, the better and if I can revert it for the yearly Belgian MOT, that would be even better.... Does the Akra make any difference for the sound, I haven't selected it, chose the lighter wheels and battery instead currently as I think they have a bigger influence on the weight and behaviour of the bike.

All the best to all of you in these troubled times,

Remo

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 07:50:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
Hi,

does anyone have an answer for the above question? I just had an offer made for a bright red 21 XR, as I like what they have done with the new one, except for the lack of decent sound I noticed during my recent test ride with it. The German forums are talking about a company called RSE that brings back the rumble we had on the Gen 1 model in Dynamic mode, but as usual, a dealer ECU update will call for a reflash. So the easier the solution, the better and if I can revert it for the yearly Belgian MOT, that would be even better.... Does the Akra make any difference for the sound, I haven't selected it, chose the lighter wheels and battery instead currently as I think they have a bigger influence on the weight and behaviour of the bike.

All the best to all of you in these troubled times,

Remo

Re the Akra sound.
I've completely removed the stock silencer from my bike and went for a test ride  :001:  Just to see will it make any difference in sound. And believe it or not, it sounds completely the same.  :013: Stock silencer is a "straight through", just like Akra, so obviously all the silencing is done in cat converters, that big ugly silencer box underneath the bike and the exhaust flap.
IMHO, for sound and noise, you need Akra headers. Or you can disable that exhaust flap to get some noise in lower revs
Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:51:30 AM by esso_sa

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR GEN2 red
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 09:22:35 AM
Ok,

So no Akra at 915 euro. I chose the forged wheels. We can't pass the MOT  without cat over here in Belgium and I drive in Germany regularly...
Would be great to hear how you can avoid the error thrown when you unplug the servo...

All the best,

Remo
Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:33:28 AM by Remo83

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 07:24:18 AM
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
Ok,

So no Akra at 915 euro. I chose the forged wheels. We can't pass the MOT  without cat over here in Belgium and I drive in Germany regularly...
Would be great to hear how you can avoid the error thrown when you unplug the servo...

All the best,

Remo

I can pass the MOT in my country without cat, but my dealer said that fitting the Akrapovc headers = warranty void...
You can remove the entire servo system (actuator and cables) and avoid errors using servo eliminator.
It is a simple device that emulates servo actuator so the ECU thinks it's still there, but in reality it's not  :001:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2020-BMW-S1000XR-Healtech-Exhaust-Servo-Eliminator-/273535850987

There is another manufacturer of this device, called ServoBuddy

Also, if you go down this route, it would be wise to additionally secure the valve in open position
There are some stories that exhaust flow at high rpm's can overcome the exhaust valve spring, making it close suddenly.

Offline Bamboo Baby

• XR Junior
  • Town: Port Elizabeth
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:36 PM
I went through the same testing not long ago.
Bike is a 2021 Gen 2 XR.

Removed the silencer box underneath the bike completely, made it a straight pipe. Kept the two CAT in headers.
The sound was still the same  :033:

Then disconnected the exhaust flapper valve. Holy moly!! But, Engine light came on after a few km, and bike went into limp mode.

On the new 2021 models you cant just disconnect the cables. When you start, the exhaust valve go into a test mode. Fully closed, fully open. If there is no parameters to read, Engine light and limp mode.....

You can test this yourself. Remove the black plastic cover off the valve, and start, and see the test yourself.

On idle the valve is closed, leaving only a mm or so clearance. 90% of the sound is kept back by the exhaust valve. Plugged in a Healtech module, and all was sorted. Now it sounds like a proper angry bike, even the neighbors kids go missing when I start her up  :745:

Offline flafonta

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Richardson
Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 10:16:25 PM
No sure why mine does not show an error code or limp mode. I have a 21 XR. I disconnected the valve servo cables at the valve (but left them in there under the black cover, in the grove to hold the cable). I was a bit worried of having moving cables in there, but seems to not cause issues for me.

Offline Bamboo Baby

• XR Junior
  • Town: Port Elizabeth
Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 10:25:56 PM
You must be lucky then. Maybe a few wide open throttle runs will let your Engine light come on, that is also when the valve starts opening and closing.

After mine came on, BMW reset the fault code for me. It was still at idle in the workshop, when the Eng light came back again. Diagnostic machine
said Exhaust valve faulty....

On the 1000RR they also disconnected the cables, no problems. Reading now that on the latest RR they get the engine light also  :003:

Offline 53jd

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Austin, TX
Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 05:28:00 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
How it should be!  :028:

I had hypershots on my 2 Gen 1's and exhaust was noticeably more prevalent in the top just based on carbon build up. 

Online mdesjard

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 K1600GT
  • Town: Safety Harbor,FL
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 08:20:37 PM
so......if I disconnect the cables and the engine light comes on, will reconnecting the cables turn the engine light back off?

Offline Willidx4

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 sx1000xr
  • Town: KNIGHTDALE NC
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2021, 08:42:02 PM
Disconnected the cables from the exhaust valve itself without any lights with lots of 100% throttle.The gs-911 doesn't show and faults either.