Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Motoscan questions from a techno simpleton  (Read 2444 times)

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Motoscan questions from a techno simpleton
on: December 29, 2020, 08:16:25 PM
Looking at getting the OBD LX/MX link thingy and adapter cable as my service light will be back on very soon. I've downloaded the Motoscan app ready. My questions are as follows . . . . . . . . .

1) Best place (read price) to buy the OBD / cable thingys in UK?

2) Once I have purchased what ever it is in Motoscan to use it, if I then change my phone will I have to buy it again or is it somehow transferable to other devices?

3) From reading the app info it seems there are different things to buy within the Motoscan app, what do I actually need and how much is that going to cost me?

4) Can the Motoscan app be used on a computer (laptop with windows 10) or is it only phone (android)?
(I ask 2 and 4 as my phone is on it's last legs, but I'm too tight to get another until it properly dies  :001: )

Thanks

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Motoscan questions from a techno simpleton
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:05:37 PM
*Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
Looking at getting the OBD LX/MX link thingy and adapter cable as my service light will be back on very soon. I've downloaded the Motoscan app ready. My questions are as follows . . . . . . . . .

1) Best place (read price) to buy the OBD / cable thingys in UK?

2) Once I have purchased what ever it is in Motoscan to use it, if I then change my phone will I have to buy it again or is it somehow transferable to other devices?

3) From reading the app info it seems there are different things to buy within the Motoscan app, what do I actually need and how much is that going to cost me?

4) Can the Motoscan app be used on a computer (laptop with windows 10) or is it only phone (android)?
(I ask 2 and 4 as my phone is on it's last legs, but I'm too tight to get another until it properly dies  :001: )
Thanks

1: Can't help with where to buy the MX/LM OBD adapter, but cable requirement will depend on what year model you have, if 15 or 16 (Euro-3), you'll need to get the round 10 pin adapter cable, if 17 or later, (Euro-4), no need for a cable.

2: Motoscan is registered to your email so should follow to new phone, you just need to download it to your new phone, but l believe it's Android only.

3: You'll need to purchase the full version of Motoscan, this will open up full functionality.

4: Motoscan is Android only and will not work on PC.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:27 AM
I recently bought the same kit as you're wanting

I got the OBDLink LX for £60 off E**y, and then had to get the Ultimate version of Motoscan because I wanted the "coding" functionality. (Their website tells you what each version can do)

Already had the "round connector to OBD connector " but that's readily available.

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:00:18 PM
Cheers for the replies gents  :152: Very helpful

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:58 PM
Just found this if you're looking for an adapter. It's Motoscan's own one. Quite a bit cheaper than the MX adapter

They have the OBD Link MX+ for £89 as well
Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:43:30 PM by rs87

Offline Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:44:41 PM
Amazon £64.99 with next day delivery, can't find cheaper from a reputable retailer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBDLink-427201-ScanTool-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B00H9S71LW

Offline rs87

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 01:07:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Molsal [+]
Amazon £64.99 with next day delivery, can't find cheaper from a reputable retailer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBDLink-427201-ScanTool-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B00H9S71LW

Funnily enough, Amazon is showing me a price of £74.99 on that. I wonder if they're using differential pricing for customers....

Anyway, the site I linked has the same product cheaper:

https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/obdlink-lx-bluetooth-scan-tool-professional-obdii-for-android-and-windows at £59

Offline Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 01:11:27 PM
Sorry price has increased since I posted the link.
Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:16:12 PM by Molsal

Offline rs87

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Molsal [+]
Sorry price has increased since I posted the link.

Recently I've found Amazon to be substantially more expensive than independent vendors, to the point that I now always look for alternative suppliers when buying something from Amazon and end up finding a cheaper source > 80% of the time

Offline Warree

• XR Pro
  • Town: Pembury
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 02:05:11 PM
Interesting thread. How does OBDLink with Motoscan ultimate compare to GS-911 please?