Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: New XR 2021 Owner - But with Multi Strada V4 thoughts !  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Wannyboy

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021
  • Town: Lincs
New XR 2021 Owner - But with Multi Strada V4 thoughts !
on: December 29, 2020, 09:08:18 PM
Good Evening All  :159:

Just thought I'd create a post after taking delivery of my new 2021 red XR TE this evening and share a few thoughts on my decision journey to see if it resonates with others  :152:.

As I am sure like a lot of people I decided to give up on sports bike and trackday riding a couple of years ago (last bike ZX10R) to become more mature as I approached big five 'O' (honest). But I found the itch just doesn't go away  so I thought what bike can I get that let's me go and have a spirited (wink, wink) ride in some form of comfort, has more upright riding position with reasonable wind protection but allows me to revisit the beautiful country side and awesome routes I have tear arsed through over the many years.

Luckily having lots of riding mates in similar positions lots of various bikes have entered the scene and after many beer fueled debates there as been good insight to most bikes in the market. Therefore having consider many bikes (which I know all have pro's and con's) I wanted one that appealed to most of "my" requirements and again knowing one mans beauty is another mans ugly, now I did know I am not ready nor does it appeal to me having a GS1250 (mate has one) but after considering all others I kept coming back to the XR as I wanted something that did all things good but without the drama, so some of the views of the 2021 XR being boring and character less are good for me. (happy to share my thought process with the other choices if anyone is interested as I had access to KTM 1290SAS and SDR, XR 2019 in HP colors, MT10)

So after doing a few dealer calls and asking what deals where about in Dec I ended up with a well spec'd TE with Panniers and Top Box, Aux lights along with a few other extras for what appear a very good price, so hence the purchase.

However, I today went with a friend to view the new Multi Strada V4S - And I have to say I was impressed on my first impressions  :028: -

Now my initial thoughts was that being 100 miles from the nearest dealer the same friend ended selling his Panigale V4 due to constant teething issues and recalls making it a pain and after breaking down one day they happily collected it  but would not return it so another 100 mile trip to collect. But was surprised to learn the multi comes with 48mnths warranty and a 2 year service interval. The other thing today we spec'd the Multi with the very same extra's as my XR (but with radar cruise) and it ended up another £4K and a bit of change compared to the XR so at least my wallet feels I have done the right thing  :020:

But, I did wonder others thoughts on the Multi V4. And is the XR and Multi V4 a good comparison as it seems to me to sit between the XR (sports tourer) and GS full out adventure tourer (I get the feeling Ducati are more targeting the GS with it though). ?

Anyway enough for now and looking forward to confirming what I expect from the XR both good and perceived bad, and will let you know in good course.

Wanny  :305:

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Re: New XR 2021 Owner - But with Multi Strada V4 thoughts !
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 09:24:00 AM
I had the old Multi before I got my XR. I rejected it on the dealer as it was so bad, so many issues. I would urge anyone to think very carefully before buying a ducati. As for my XR, had it 4 years and it’s been great.

Offline bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:39:07 AM
*Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
I had the old Multi before I got my XR. I rejected it on the dealer as it was so bad, so many issues. I would urge anyone to think very carefully before buying a ducati. As for my XR, had it 4 years and it’s been great.
Interestingly enough I had all sorts of problems with a new KTM 1290 GT and I ended up getting rid of it in favour of the XR which has behaved well so far. I guess we both got Friday afternoon bikes as other seem to love the Ducatis and KTMs.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:48:31 AM
In that case, Ducati must do most of their manufacturing on a Friday afternoon!  :008:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 10:17:57 AM
Rather have an XR - expecting my 4th XR next week - all have been great bikes with no issues. Cheaper than a Multi and better designed.  :305:
PSH

Offline Stav

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Cambridgeshire
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 10:50:43 AM
Had two Ducati’s, a Scrambler and a Hypermotard 1100S. Both of them really well specified, looked and sounded great. Both were finicky and had faults put down to “character”. If you’re up for that then they’re great. In my experience they are not built to withstand daily abuse, they’re great bikes to keep in the garage and ride locally on a sunny Sunday.

The new Multistrada looks amazing but I can’t help thinking that it will have too much “character” and do my head in. Depends what you want to do with it.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:51 AM
*Originally Posted by Becksy [+]

Who was the dealer?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 11:06:06 AM
 :001:
*Originally Posted by bobdave [+]
Interestingly enough I had all sorts of problems with a new KTM 1290 GT and I ended up getting rid of it in favour of the XR which has behaved well so far. I guess we both got Friday afternoon bikes as other seem to love the Ducatis and KTMs.

Had the X/R 4 years next April and the GT 12 months...i’m Considered to be very disappointing by my Ducati connections

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 01:14:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Who was the dealer?

Aylesbury, to be fair to them, they dealt with it well, it wasn’t their fault after all.

Offline Saint

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Centreville
Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 02:37:21 PM
I rode (in this order) the 2019 RR, R, XR, and the Ducati with longish rides on the RR, R, and XR and found the XR the most comfortable riding position.  I rode the Ducati a very short ride, returned to the dealer and bought the XR in Triple Black.  For me it was a matter of age (mine).  If I was between 16 and 26 I would have bought the Ducati (more noise and vibration, yeah!), then between 26 and 36 the RR, then between 36 and 46 the R.  As I'm over 50 I bought and love the XR.  Now as to the newest Ducati, yes I'd take a ride.  However, since I'm so happy with my 2019 XR Triple Black it would be unlikely to induce me to change.  I don't ride, and don't plan to ride my XR either off-road on on the track as my XR is my local ride, whilst my 2004 Honda Rune NRXDA 1800, in double clear coat black is my cruiser.
Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:33:58 PM by Saint
Saint

dysfunctional