Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Top box and pannier locks.  (Read 767 times)

Offline Crawfordjohn

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Bathgate
Top box and pannier locks.
on: December 31, 2020, 02:49:22 PM
Have been lucky enough to source a second hand set of original BMW luggage for my XR.Unfortunately they still have their locks in position and I have no key, worried they are unusable without the key.Have done a bit of research into removing the locks and it seems a special tool is required but I can see no such tool for sale on the net. Anyone had the same problem?. Also can I mount and use the top box as is or do I need the lock to turn and release the black carrying handle to mount/unmount the box?. Many Thanks,CJ
Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:49:14 PM by Crawfordjohn
Bathgate no more!

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Re: Top box and pannier locks.
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 07:19:52 PM
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?PHPSESSID=es9ttiehdlce9eem69b074l2a4&topic=3071.msg36915#msg36915

Let's see if the link above works.  If it does, it will show you how to do it except you need a key!!!  I don't think you can do it without a key.  I have never heard of a special tool.

Offline Crawfordjohn

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:01:49 PM
Many thanks. The special tool was home made resembling an auger with the tip bent over and used to compress something on the key barrel to facilitate removal of same. Unfortunately I have no key.
Bathgate no more!

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:20:58 PM
You don't need a key if unlocked. You need to get at the rear of the lock and push in the locking plate at the rear of the lock cylinder to release it. I did mine by stripping the pannier apart.
Do a search, there has been LOTS of threads on this

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:16:40 PM
The tumbler with the blue toothpick on it is what keeps the cylinder in place, what keeps it from coming out.  The "special tool" is to get to this tumbler, push it into the cylinder, and letting the cylinder slide out of its hole.  The link with the pictures I posted earlier shows how to remove the whole mechanism from the pannier, the sole purpose of this is to have access to the tumbler that's holding the cylinder in place (blue toothpick), so that an ice pick or a pin pusher can be used to push this in and allowing your third hand to pull the cylinder out.

I thought you needed a key to make this work, but maybe not, give it a try.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 11:47:07 AM
Take it to a dealer and they will take out the barrels and re key for you - they have a tool. You will also need some additional BMW tumblers. Should cost around £50 for dealer to do it..  :305:
PSH

Offline Crawfordjohn

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 02:11:29 PM
Many thanks to all members for their help.CJ
Bathgate no more!