Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Has my bike been tuned and going back to stock?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Brock

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 19 - XR
  • Town: Raleigh, NC
Has my bike been tuned and going back to stock?
on: December 31, 2020, 09:40:44 PM
Hello all, a couple questions

Purchased a used 2019 from an out of state dealer. Pretty good deal, however, dealer indicated only the can had been changed on the exhaust, not the headers as well. Turns out they didn’t know what they were talking about, and I never asked for pictures from under the bike to confirm.

There is no indication of a problem, but I’d like to find out if the bike has been tuned already, to account for the change. The bike had been purchased by the dealer at auction so I won’t be able to trace back through the previous owner to find out.

Any thoughts on how to figure this out, can a dealer tell?

Part 2

With the Arrow headers, The bike is louder at idle then I would like. I’ve got a line on some stock header take-offs, low mileage, for a decent price. If the bike hasn’t been tuned, would going back to stock headers be fairly straight forward?

Part 2.1

If the bike has been tuned, how hard would it be to put it back to stock? Is this something the dealership could do?

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Has my bike been tuned and going back to stock?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:37:54 PM
1. the options are an ECU flash, or a piggyback module(PCV, RB,Bazzazz). spotting a piggyback should be pretty obvious(look under the seat). a flash not so easy.

2. installing headers is pretty straight forward, but a bit of a pain. You will be shocked at the weight difference!

2.1 If the ECU has been flashed(tuned) this will be over-written if the dealer does a software update

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:44:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Brock [+]
Hello all, a couple questions

Purchased a used 2019 from an out of state dealer. Pretty good deal, however, dealer indicated only the can had been changed on the exhaust, not the headers as well. Turns out they didn’t know what they were talking about, and I never asked for pictures from under the bike to confirm.

There is no indication of a problem, but I’d like to find out if the bike has been tuned already, to account for the change. The bike had been purchased by the dealer at auction so I won’t be able to trace back through the previous owner to find out.

Any thoughts on how to figure this out, can a dealer tell?

Part 2

With the Arrow headers, The bike is louder at idle then I would like. I’ve got a line on some stock header take-offs, low mileage, for a decent price. If the bike hasn’t been tuned, would going back to stock headers be fairly straight forward?

Part 2.1

If the bike has been tuned, how hard would it be to put it back to stock? Is this something the dealership could do?

Put a picture up....it's pretty easy to tell if headers are fitted, sticks out like dogs balls.

Whether it's been "tuned" or not is a different matter, if it has a "piggyback system" like a PC-V or Rapid Bike, it's easy to tell...if it's had a Brentune...not so easy.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Brock

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 12:41:58 AM
Ok, may end up double posting but here goes.

Nothing obvious under the seat

However looks like something was done near the ecu, judging by the 3 cable ties. Where else might you hide a power commander?

Guess I’ll be learning to take all the plastics off this weekend.  :008:

Offline Brock

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:35 AM
And it definitely has arrow headers and slip on.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 09:21:46 AM
Definitely not an RBE, nor PC-V.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 10:26:52 AM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Definitely not an RBE, nor PC-V.

Smithy.

Could be a Rapidbike Easy. 

Discussed extensively here:  https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php?topic=2732.0

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 11:00:39 AM
Well spotted Sherlock  :002:, i’m Still getting over the shock of the OP wanting to go back to a stock bike.

Offline Brock

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 01:12:25 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Well spotted Sherlock  :002:, i’m Still getting over the shock of the OP wanting to go back to a stock bike.

To each their own. The sound doesn’t actually bother me, I’m more about not being a douche who wakes up my neighbors at 530 every morning.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 01:26:34 PM
That’s the end can not the headers, i’ve got  Akra headers with a MIVV end can noisy it ain’t or even close, but can’t help with the 5.30 in the morning part  :001:

As for the bike...I had to custom order my X/R and wait 8 weeks for it to turn up, best starting point I’ve ever had on a bike before the mods started, most most vids you see are about revving the hell out of the motor, the problem being the bottom end fuelling, hence the headers and soft ware.

dysfunctional