Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: V-trec brake and clutch levers  (Read 851 times)

Offline Rob8085

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
V-trec brake and clutch levers
on: January 01, 2021, 03:57:32 PM
Hi all,
         Quick question, I have a 2018 S1000xr and purchased V-trec brake and clutch levers for it, they were advertised to fit years 15-19. Unfortunately after fitting the clutch lever, I could not adjust freeplay correctly as the cable did not pass through to the lever correctly. Has anybody had issues with V-trec levers? Also are there any differences in levers between gen1 and gen2 models? The company I got them from has refunded my money and I do not have to return the levers, so great customer service there. The only problem is I have levers that are pretty much useless, as I don't know which bike they would fit. Rob

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: V-trec brake and clutch levers
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 04:45:21 PM
Do a search on here there's War and Piece in the early days about aftermarket levers on here.

Offline Loz

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE SPORT
  • Town: Bolton
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 02:41:28 PM
Had the same problem with the cable lining up and the lever assembly not returning fully, sent them back
2019 S1000XR SE Sport

Offline Mr NSB

• XR Pro
  • Town: Hampshire
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 05:11:02 PM
I tried these and also sent mine back. The post for the clutch switch cam is in the wrong place and the clutch cable didn't line up either.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 07:39:39 PM
Buy cheap...buy twice.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 08:09:55 PM
This always makes me wonder, what actually is the difference between these brands like ASV, Rizoma, V-trec, ABM's Syntos, Puig etc and the 30 quid chinese ones you find on ebay? They all seem to be the same old CNC machined pieces and almost all are made from the exact same 6061 Alu alloy. 90% of the time the chinese fit perfectly well and I've not heard of any issues from anyone that uses them. So that begs the question, especially on a bike with not as many options like the XR, how can it be justified to spend 200-300 quid on a pair of levers, which have issues like the ones pointed out here? I'm not trying to bemoan anyone that chose to, customisation is entirely a personal thing, but what would I be missing out on going for a chinese lever? They are made the same way, probably even in the same factory as some of these brand names, so I doubt quality of components and machining would be an issue, Maybe they won't have as premium a feel and have tacky paint on them but I've seen ASV's fade over time as well so no real difference there. I'm just asking because today I've been riding in the city and the stock clutch lever is a killer after an hour of stop and go, but not something I'm willing to spend 200+ on to fix, 30-40 quid though? Sure. Some people might claim safety but I've yet to see a chinese brake lever snap from regular usage, 6061 is very strong and unless there is serious material faults it's yield strength is well above what you're likely to produce under hard braking.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 11:39:28 PM
I can't comment on levers, but I bought a chinese set on 'Lightec' chain adjusters and while they 'work' they are nowhere near the quality, fit or function of the originals. Ended up just buying another set of Lightecs. the chinese ones work and are better than OEM, but my OCD could not deal with the built in slop.

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:42:56 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I can't comment on levers, but I bought a chinese set on 'Lightec' chain adjusters and while they 'work' they are nowhere near the quality, fit or function of the originals. Ended up just buying another set of Lightecs. the chinese ones work and are better than OEM, but my OCD could not deal with the built in slop.

Well that's about all I'm looking for, better than OEM in this case, I just want the clutch lever to be a bit closer, I can reach it just fine for regular riding, but in city with lots of stop and go it's really straining my hand when having to finesse the clutch and the friction zone is rather far out on these bikes.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 08:17:02 AM
I’m on lever set number 3 the difference being the shape of the lever blade and how it feels on your hand, there mostly certainly is a difference, how one finds the ones that float your boat is just pot luck, if I was starting again i’d Be looking for a Chinese copy of the HP version but that’s just my preference that may not be yours.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Somerset
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 11:09:21 AM
Firstly the lever housing is different between the Gen 1 and Gen 2, especially the clutch lever assembly - the need for the tiny torx screw has gone, replaced by a permanent flange type thing.  The Gen 2 uses the same assembly as the F900XR.  As Antares says above, the levers themselves are much of a muchness, probably all made in the same factory, just the assembly that differs between different bikes.

I had V-Trec shortys on my last 2 Gen 1's and they were fine.  I now have some F900XR lever assemblys on my Gen 2 matched with some old super short CNC levers I used to have on my RR and they work a treat - the stock clutch lever on the Gen 2 was sh#t, and too far out for me even on the closest setting.  Each to their own I think.
Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:11:02 AM by bagwafu
2021 S1000XR TE

dysfunctional