Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Hints & tips on removing upper front faring panels  (Read 907 times)

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
  • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
Hints & tips on removing upper front faring panels
on: January 04, 2021, 01:37:21 PM
Anyone got hints or tips for removing upper front left faring panel on a Gen 2 S1000XR to get to the horn please?  Planning to fit my sound bomb mini this week...  Tried searching the forum and YouTube but no luck so far.  Thanks, Peter"
R1250RT two up / S1000XR for fun!

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Hints & tips on removing upper front faring panels
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:51:26 PM
*Originally Posted by serge1966 [+]

That's for a Gen-1 not Gen-2.. :164:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:40:05 AM
I reckon quite a few of us would be interested in this post, i removed my left hand panels by trial and error, took me ages as I didn't want to damage any clips etc. I couldn't describe how I achieved it though.

Online herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:18:11 AM
*Originally Posted by Molsal [+]
I reckon quite a few of us would be interested in this post, i removed my left hand panels by trial and error, took me ages as I didn't want to damage any clips etc. I couldn't describe how I achieved it though.

I installed the BMW radiator/cooler guards, they have instructions for the left hand panel, pretty simple:

https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/manuals/WEBA/IN/BA-INTERNET-COM/PDF/77015A0A436_Kuehlerschutzgitter_0E41_01_202002.pdf

But I'd *really* like some instructions for the nose as I think I'll have to get in there for my phone mount.

Online esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 09:46:54 AM
For the nose:
Inside plastic covers (where the power socket is) need to be removed in order to gain access to bolts holding the upper trim covers above the headlights.
In order to remove those inside plastic covers, you need to remove windscreen to gain access to the bolts holding them (one bolt per cover, the rest is held by clips)
Once you remove inside plastic covers, you will gain access to the bolts holding the upper trim above the headlights. Again, one bolt per cover, the rest is clips

If you need some space for the wiring for your phone mount, I believe you should be fine with removing just the inside covers.

For those who need to remove upper side panels around the tank (where the BMW logo is), they need to follow the entire front disassembly procedure. Because the front covers sit (overlap) over the upper side panels. Entire bike is assembled in this way.

You can see those bolts on the pictures below

Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:01:28 AM by esso_sa

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:04:40 PM
Thanks @herveyw and @esso_sa for info, both useful - BMW don't make it really easy do they! :-) Peter

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:11:44 AM
To avoid removing panels I tried fitting the SoundBomb Mini a-la keyhole surgery method!  It was fiddly given the size of my hands:-) but possible and overall simple.  Peter

dysfunctional