Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Re Seat on my 2018 se Sport  (Read 542 times)

Offline SteveH

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Fleet
Re Seat on my 2018 se Sport
on: January 07, 2021, 10:28:30 AM
Hi all, my question is regarding the seat on my bike s1000xr se sport, how do I know if the seat that is fitted is a normal, low or high ?
I have a post in "wanted"  for a HP Seat but again how you know which is which and can you make a normal seat a low or high seat and visa versa.

Cheers all

Online Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Re: Re Seat on my 2018 se Sport
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:51:34 PM
There are four oem seats available for gen 1 from BMW. Two standard height, one low and one high.

Two of these are HP seats; one standard height and one high. The other two are plain seats; one standard and one low.

The HP seats can be identified from their different patterns. The standard height has the stitching pattern running front to back across the pillion seat, the pattern on the high HP runs around the back of the drivers seat.

The standard versions are more difficult to identify as they are both plain. You would need to look at the part numbers on the underside and cross reference it online. Alternatively, measure the height against the factory quoted spec (a search here will find the heights, I can’t remember them offhand) but this is more difficult to get consistent accuracy. :028:

Offline orbits

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 08:55:06 PM
Worth noting that comfort varies with seat height too in the HP ones at least. I wanted to get something slightly more comfortable than the standard height stock seat (numb arse after ~90mins) so was prepared to invest the HP but didn’t know whether to get HP Standard or HP High. Main Dealer got them both in for me and let me test ride them back to back. The HP Standard was like a sheet of plywood tbh; less padding than the standard height stock seat. The HP High however has extra padding and I find it very comfy; like all-day comfy. Don’t be put off by the ‘high’ moniker. The padding rounds off at the sides more than a stock seat so there’s little if any effect to still being able to get your feet down. If you’re happy with your feet down on a Standard Height Stock Seat, you’ll be fine on the HP High Seat too; just with a happier backside and a lighter wallet  :002:

You can buy new Rubbers from flea bay to change the seat height if you want to play with that. The stockers are some cylindrical bits with fins/vanes on them for want of a better description that your seat rests on - but they have their mount hole in the centre. Some of the aftermarket ones have the holes offset to change the effective height of the Rubbers when installed on the frame posts. My naff description will make more sense when you look under the seat!

HTH
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:58:26 PM by orbits

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 09:17:18 PM
*Originally Posted by orbits [+]
You can buy new Rubbers from flea bay to change the seat height if you want to play with that.

I have those, since I'm vertically challenged. They lower the seat height by another 10mm, which can make a big difference for some.

Be aware though, that this leaves a gap between the bottom of the tank and the top of the seat, which some people find unsightly.

dysfunctional