Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Woolich Racing ECU Tuning  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
Woolich Racing ECU Tuning
on: January 08, 2021, 12:19:48 PM
I've been looking into ECU flashing and had several recommendations around Woolich Racing Products. I was a bit suspicious at first but then found out they actually work with the WSB organisation and provide the software for tuning Superstock 1000, 600 and 300s:

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2018/Woolich+Racing+now+an+official+technical+partner+of+WorldSBK

The basically supply everything you need to connect into the ECU and make adjustments:

https://www.woolichracing.com/tuningshops.aspx

But as this is quite expensive to buy, some of the UK tuning companies are buying it and using it for you. MSS Performance Kawasaki have it near me, but don't deal with BMWs. The place that seems to be getting great results is Junction 33 Developments and they have done quite a few R, RR and XR models now.
Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:20:57 PM by Belco100

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Woolich Racing ECU Tuning
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:41:36 PM
Brentune not an option...??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 03:49:47 PM
I’ve been looking at Brentune the past couple of days and sent them a couple of emails, waiting for a reply to my last email but they don’t work weekends, one of my questions was - the literature I read on their website is that with the bike’s ignition on but not running - you plug their handheld tuner into your bike and download the stock ecu files so you can then email them the files over, which they will then in turn use and send you a map to reflash the ecu, but how do they do this if they can’t see where the fuelling is under load/revs - especially if you’ve changed the exhaust.......unless they ask you what mods you’ve done before they remap.......in fact I’ve probably answered my question  :087: anyone been down the Brentune road ? Oh and BTW they have a sale on  :038:

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 03:56:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Colin [+]
I’ve been looking at Brentune the past couple of days and sent them a couple of emails, waiting for a reply to my last email but they don’t work weekends, one of my questions was - the literature I read on their website is that with the bike’s ignition on but not running - you plug their handheld tuner into your bike and download the stock ecu files so you can then email them the files over, which they will then in turn use and send you a map to reflash the ecu, but how do they do this if they can’t see where the fuelling is under load/revs - especially if you’ve changed the exhaust.......unless they ask you what mods you’ve done before they remap.......in fact I’ve probably answered my question  :087: anyone been down the Brentune road ? Oh and BTW they have a sale on  :038:

Your assumptions are correct, but bear in mind that BrenTune does a lot more than just fueling(AFR). Amongst other things it :
optimises the QS
gets rid of the throttle restriction in gears 1/2/3
fixes the fueling(you tell them what mods you have - exhaust, filter, etc)

btw they are normally pretty responsive to e-mails(barring w/ends!)

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 04:15:47 PM
Thanks Simon, think I’m going to order it, the guy did say that if you go for stage 3 it is more aggressive and you really need to do a IAT relocation and fit a sprint air filter to get the most out of it but if you go for a stage 2 you can upgrade later so I’m going to go for a Stage 2 for now and upgrade later in the year.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:51:56 PM
Do some research and draw your own conclusions on the Sprint filter. I installed one, it did not fit easily/nicely and after 1000 miles there was lots of 'stuff' in the airbox. I removed it and installed a BMC filter (had BMC on my K13 for 50 k miles and on my S1000R for 30k miles without issue). Do a search for sprint filter on the RR forum. Again. make your own decision.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 05:15:23 PM
I’m intrigued... sorry for the smart arsed comment but it ain’t my money or motor, but the punch line with any of this after market fueling is level A/F lines that in my experience take some fiddling to get right, so not matter what solution you go with a dyno run is a must, because folks promise the world, but the trick is making e’m prove it, and without such when you are wringing the neck out of the motor you’ll always have a niggle in the back of your mind...Is it going to go bang.
Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:16:18 PM by Winger

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 05:27:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I’m intrigued... sorry for the smart arsed comment but it ain’t my money or motor, but the punch line with any of this after market fueling is level A/F lines that in my experience take some fiddling to get right, so not matter what solution you go with a dyno run is a must, because folks promise the world, but the trick is making e’m prove it, and without such when you are wringing the neck out of the motor you’ll always have a niggle in the back of your mind...Is it going to go bang.
It’s a valid point and was what I was sort of asking when I emailed Brentune about remapping without ruining the engine, I think I’ve see another thread on here with Q&A to Brentune asking if once ‘Brentune flashed’ can it then be dyno’d for fine tuning and I’m sure their answer was ‘no - a third party can’t access their software flash, do you know if this is the case Simon ?

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 05:54:11 PM
.......found the thread re Brentune Q’n......
If I decided I wanted a dyno tune to further refine the mappings (e.g. specific to my bike/the fuel available in New Zealand, etc.) is there a way my local dyno tuner can interface with the ECU after your work to adjust the mappings as required? We do not offer any end user adjustable mapping. We handle all of it.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 08:20:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Colin [+]
a third party can’t access their software flash, do you know if this is the case Simon ?

AFAIK that is a correct statement. My advice is that if all you want is to adjust the fueling(ie AFR) then go for a PCV or RB Evo, (I would also suggest putting an AutoTune or MyTuningBike as well). AS I said before the BT does more than just fueling.

dysfunctional