Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Odd SatNav behaviour, possible multi-function wheel problem  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR & S!000R
  • Town: Derby
Hi all

I had a very cold ride out today and it reminded me that I have a bit of as issue where the SatNav randomly swaps between screens as if I am mucking about with the multi function controller wheel. Bit of a pain as I was navigating unfamiliar roads as it will go from map to compass or to engine data all on its own. Has anyone had problems like that? I am guessing its a dodgy connection in the left hand switchgear or controller wheel.

How easy is it to remove and disassemble? Mine is a 2016 bike by the way.

Ta

Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Re: Odd SatNav behaviour, possible multi-function wheel problem
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 04:57:19 PM
I had precisely the same problem.

It turned out that the cause was in fact my hand position on the grip being too close to the multifunction wheel, and I was nudging the wheel with my hand without being aware that I was doing so.
Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:58:56 PM by rs87

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 05:01:27 PM
I wondered that at first but it definitely isn't. Thats why I suspect the MF Wheel may be the issue. I think I will have a look in my garage tomorrow. I have little faith in my BMW dealer fixing it as they don't seem to have much of a clue with electrics
Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 05:18:48 PM
Perhaps there's some dirt or something between the edge of the grip and the wheel that's causing the grip to actuate it?

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 05:21:53 PM
I am thinking a bit of water ingress and maybe corrosion. I guess I will find out when I get it off maybe
Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 05:37:06 PM
The OP’s issue sounds like the oft reported nav6 ghosting issue . Where the touch screen ghosts touches and swaps screens etc. If your Nav6 is still under warranty i’d contact your local dealer or local garmin support to discuss .

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 05:44:36 PM
Thats interesting! Mine is a Nav 5 but the symptoms are exactly that. Maybe its a software issue then?
Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:16:10 PM
I've had the same issue, I've had both Nav 5 and now have a Nav 6, I just took it that I'd nudge the wheel on the bars when pushing on a bit down the road when making progress or doing the old "do a U turn when possible by {she who must be obeyed} ".

I've a 16 plate as well.
I do update the Nav6 when needed

I've moved my hands out to the ends of the bars but as the bars a just a tad to long for me, I end up back in the same place and then I think to myself did I just catch the wheel again?

I just thought it was me so interesting what you've put.
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 10:21:42 AM
I have the same issue with my 2018 bike and NavVI, but because it jumps to the screen next to the map and is restored with a single nudge of the wheel, I always thought it was me unintentionally nudging the wheel.  It’s not normally a problem, but I often ride with voice prompts muted if I’m in Bluetooth comms with a riding buddy and it has made me miss one or two junctions in the past.

I think the ghosting issue might be different.  That’s happened to me just once, it was exactly like someone touching the screen and scrolling the map.  It has never happened since, so I’ve not worried about it..... until now maybe!

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 01:01:39 PM
The first check should be to spray the spring pins in the Nav mount, with a little WD40 - then push them in and out a few times with your thumbnail.

Wipe off excess WD40.

Wipe a tissue with WD40 on it - across the terminals on the back of the Nav unit.

I wouldn't start stripping the thumbwheel before assuring myself that the mount connections were good.

Have you a local pal with a nav unit - to try his one in your mount?