Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: NW Spain  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
NW Spain
on: January 10, 2021, 05:53:36 PM
Optimistic I Know but we all need something to look forward to so.........just booked a bike trip to NW Spain, plan is Portsmouth to Santander, 7 nights in Spain starting off by heading for the Picos mountains, then along the NW coastline to A Coruna then circling back and last 3 nights in Leon as a base, the route/roads that we are taking look fantastic.

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Re: NW Spain
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 05:54:47 PM
............for July I might add, not next week  :008:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 06:17:28 PM
Most certainly optimistic, I was thinking Cross Gates cafe by july  :821:

From a practical point we rode down and back either Le Havre or Caen for years , and in our old age rode down and the ferry back from either Santander or Bilbao, mainly WSB or Moto GP.

Brittany still have 400 quid if ours for a cancelled ferry trip, start of any year for as long as I can remember start with the bike 24 hour at Le Mans and then the NW200 in May, didn’t happen last year and isn’t this.  :003:

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 06:38:54 PM
95% cancellable through booking.com, going through Brittany Ferries and took the middle price option, ie can’t cancel but can change the dates, we’ll be fine......Boris is in charge  :745:, oh yeah then there’s Spain to consider  :138:

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 07:22:22 PM
I quite like Leon. Wished I had stayed there more than one night on the way back to Bilbao from Portugal.

Some great roads north of Leon in Asturias so make some day trips. The Somiedo National Park is very scenic. I used Navia on the coast as a base. Some very deep canyons and scenic views.

Online Mab1067

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 10:53:23 AM
Not sure if you will be able to travel that early?

However best Bike holiday i have had. We actually stayed in LLanes and did various loops every day average 250 miles with a day of in between. Did the Picos loop, Riano, Potes, AS-117, AS-119 and the NS-632.
Absolutely brilliant roads and people.

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 02:20:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Mab1067 [+]
Not sure if you will be able to travel that early?

However best Bike holiday i have had. We actually stayed in LLanes and did various loops every day average 250 miles with a day of in between. Did the Picos loop, Riano, Potes, AS-117, AS-119 and the NS-632.
Absolutely brilliant roads and people.
Yes maybe a bit optimistic but will just change the dates as necessary nearer the time, stopping in Potes, Oviedo, A Coruna & Leon, route sorted - most of it taken from 'Great Motorcycle Tours of Europe' book.

Offline bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 02:46:50 PM
I am booked to go there in September with a group of mates staying at Las Arenas. Hopefully we will be good to go by then.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 03:31:01 PM
Weather can be too hot in July in Spain  :305:
PSH

Online brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 04:36:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Colin [+]
95% cancellable through booking.com, going through Brittany Ferries and took the middle price option, ie can’t cancel but can change the dates, we’ll be fine......Boris is in charge  :745:, oh yeah then there’s Spain to consider  :138:
We were due to go Brittany Ferries to Santander last September, now we've rebooked for early May and if that goes under, we'll rebook for later on. All on that transferrable ticket.
If at first you don't succeed.......

dysfunctional