Author Gen 2 Sport Silencer DB Killer fitted?  (Read 1575 times)

• Offline peterwbaker1100   gb

• XR Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
    • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
    Gen 2 Sport Silencer DB Killer fitted?
    on: January 14, 2021, 09:23:39 am
    January 14, 2021, 09:23:39 am
    I've seen on the Gen 2 Sport Silencer there is the usual small Akrapovic bolt (shown in photo) to retain a DB Killer?  On my K1300S you removed the bolt and the DB killer could be removed/put back in.  On UK model Gen 2 bikes it does not look like a DB killer is fitted unless it is the complete internals of the pipe!  Just curious, have I missed something or in other markets do they come fitted with DB Killers?  Peter
    R1250RT two up / S1000XR for fun!

• Offline Wannyboy   gb

• XR Member  ‐    15

Offline Wannyboy

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021
    • Town: Lincs
    Re: Gen 2 Sport Silencer DB Killer fitted?
    Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 11:10:45 am
    January 14, 2021, 11:10:45 am
    To me that looks like the DB killer is not fitted. I assume that is because a lot of the noise level is limited by the mid pipe (Cat) under the bike using the exhaust value etc (Again Euro 5 regs I believe).  Therefore I suspect that is why it is Road Legal here in the UK, I did some research and consensus appears changing the end can on it's own only changes the tone of the exhaust but not necessary the overall noise levels.

I then bought and fitted an Akro carbon end can to my Gen 2 and noise level hasn't changed that much just a nicer deeper tone. I have attached picture below of the end of my can and I think it looks identical to yours, however I also have the same end can of my ZX10R (Trackday bike) and I received a DB killer with that again picture below and it fits in the end and locked in by the retaining nut so I can confirm yours doesn't have the DB-Killer inserted.

Hope that helps  :028:

• Offline Mab1067   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    209

Offline Mab1067

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: PETERHEAD
    Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:45:05 pm
    January 14, 2021, 04:45:05 pm
    Very strange to have the bolt still fitted if no need for the db Killer in the first place. Potential for bolt to come loose.

I presume you have actually removed the bolt and confirmed there is nothing fitted? Had the K1300S before the XR and can certainly say it made a huge difference to sound and DB level. Especially using quick shifter on way up to rev limit. Amazing sound along with the pops and bangs on overrun. That is one thing i certainly miss on the XR tbh.

• Offline peterwbaker1100   gb

• XR Member  ‐    99
    • Topic Author

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
    • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
    Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:53:31 pm
    January 14, 2021, 09:53:31 pm
    Thanks for the clarification/checking:-) Maybe someone from another market will be along to let us know why the bolt is there or which market fits a DB Killer...

@Wannyboy ZX10R photos are exactly the same as my K1300S hence me wondering... 
    @Mab1067 get the timing on the K1300S quickshifter right and you could have some fun:-)
    R1250RT two up / S1000XR for fun!

dysfunctional