Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pulling to Right  (Read 6778 times)

Offline 1kG@z

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex
Pulling to Right
« on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »
Hi all I know this has been touched on in the past . My bike steers to right there was talk about using chain alignment tool has anyone had this problem and 100% resolved it ? Thanks in advance Gary

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
Re: Pulling to Right
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
Mine runs pretty straight. Checked it anyway with a long steel rule off the swing arm pivot and it's bang on. Just luck of the draw I guess

Offline 1kG@z

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »
Reason I ask is its about to become a nightmare as this was BMW response

Please see below the explanation as to why your bike may pull to one side, any questions let me know mate.

The cause is a centre of gravity of the vehicle which is minimally offset to one side.
No motorcycle is symmetrical to the central axis. One seeks to achieve a centre of gravity which exactly lies
on the central axis but this can never be achieved 100%. This is caused by the necessary positioning of
different components (e.g. chain and left side stand, right brake calliper and brake disc, right exhaust system
etc.)

Since also the repair friendliness and accessibility must be available to perform repair work, it is not at all
easy to place the centre of gravity of the complete vehicle in the central axis. Also the rear silencer is
becoming ever larger and therefore heavier as a result of the ever stricter exhaust gas and noise values
laws. This must also be taken into account.

Our development department implements all of these factors as optimally as possible.

In a normal case it is the case that it is only after long periods of riding hands-free that pulling of the vehicle
to one side is noticeable. This is the case during riding hands-free with cruise control.
If one is riding hands-free without using the cruise controls, the engine speed drops off so quickly that one
grabs the handlebars before the vehicle become unstable and veers to one side.

Less heavy riders notice this more strongly than heavy riders.

The motorcycle does not have pull to one side more than when there is a side wind or a strongly tilted
roadway.

All the bikes except from one which was damaged repaired all run straight hands off bars but I noticed I need more effort in left handed bends than right almost wants to standup mid corner unless I push n pull on bars . Thoughts greatly welcome .

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:27:32 AM »
When i picked mine up from new there was a noticeable pull to the right or should i say a tendency to steer to the right if i took my hands off the bars. it wasn't terrible but as i said noticeable. I mentioned this at first service and it came back sorted.
I think that the forks were slightly mis aligned.

I have seen reports of the back wheel being out of alignment as the chain adjuster is not very good.

it should be an easy fix for your dealer to check wheel alignment and adjust the forks in the yoke if needed.

If that does not fix it then there is something amiss more seriously
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline 1kG@z

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »
So my bike has been to dealers and had a full alignment check and re adjustment inc a new set of Rosso 3's and a new cam chain tensioner (due to chain rattle 3k-4K Rpm) Now my dealer is great but unfortunately both faults still persist I only got the bike on 1st of February I've covered just over 2k mls since. I'm getting really unhappy especially with the lame email from BMW PUMA (see above) . I'd really like some feed back from you guys/gals on ..... If it was you in this position bearing in mind in the last 3 years you have bought a s1000rr 2012 R1200gs 2014 s1000xr 2016 and guess what I've had minor issues with the RR New engine in R1200GS but it was never the same before engine change . I feel bad cause I have a good relationship with my dealer but I'm not happy and feel like I'm that pain in the arse customer ! All help greatly welcomed Regards Gaz

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
First step,Have you ridden another XR?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
No reply hmm,just for the record I had a bike a few years back although that was an engine problem,I got the 'We'll fix it' routine told e'm i'll part x it against another new one one the look on their face was a picture :002:,but that's what I did cost me a few bob and non of the hassle.

Offline 1kG@z

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM »
Sorry pal I have been really busy . No I haven't ridden yet as my dealer is 1 hour away it's hard to leave work as I need to be there for the others . Like I say I have had a lot of bikes just never experienced this is it the end of the world for me I doubt it . I fitted a full akrapovic system on Saturday which has made it hard to hear the chain noise (have ordered a fuel Db killer ) so we can diagnose chain . I will going to drop the bike of saturday and will take the demo for a quick spin that will allow me to concour with my concerns

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 05:37:47 PM »
If it has had an full alignment check which i assume showed everything to be straight and true I am at a loss as to the bike pulling to the side !

Did a "technician" ride it at all ?

You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline 1kG@z

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 05:59:15 PM »
Lol when I was called to say tensioner and full alignment (inc loosen everything off and retightened ) and the £350 for Rosso 3s my fault on tyres didn't realise how low they was and the tech wouldn't ride it the response I got was we think we have fixed it !!