Theme Select



Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor  (Read 1043 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 1116
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
  • Country: gb
XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
on: January 15, 2021, 09:25:00 PM
Rode my new 2021 XR today, really liked it but heated grips seems poor, even worse than my old XR.
Is this normal?
PSH

#1

Offline the bartender

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 56
  • Town: Vancouver
  • Country: ca
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:47 PM
on my '20 the hottest setting is too hot to use for anything other than a few minutes.

#2

Offline Molsal

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 92
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
  • Country: gb
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:25:34 AM
My grips are too hot on setting 3 as well , usually have them on 2 for a while then down to 1 as they get a bit uncomfortably warm.

#3

Offline herveyw

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
  • Country: us
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:15:28 AM
7.5" of rain over the last two weeks, I finally managed to get out today to test my new heated vest, 8C/45F.

The heated vest was awesome, the heated grips on my 2020, not so much.

I'm with @PaulS1000XR.
Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:28:54 AM by herveyw

#4

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 1116
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
  • Country: gb
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 09:19:25 AM
Thats one for the dealer to sort out when I go for the running in service
PSH

#5

Offline herveyw

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
  • Country: us
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:00:20 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Thats one for the dealer to sort out when I go for the running in service

Mine goes in first thing tomorrow morning, it'll be 34F/1C according to the weather forecast, so I expect I'll be asking them to check them...

#6

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 1116
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
  • Country: gb
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 08:29:52 PM
*Originally Posted by herveyw [+]
Mine goes in first thing tomorrow morning, it'll be 34F/1C according to the weather forecast, so I expect I'll be asking them to check them...

let us know what they say
PSH

#7

Offline Mab1067

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 81
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
  • Country: gb
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 09:38:48 PM
hmmm, might be a bit cynical here. However probably be along the lines of "well sir, they are within the 5 to 10 degrees tolerance. Thats what the manual says. Therefore there is nothing we can do. Not allowed to change output as we dont have the GS911 or software that allows us to do anything."

Which is not much use if your using bike through out winter at say 4 degrees. That extra bit that can be adjusted would make one mighty improvement.
Had a similar issue with K1300S, traded in a 13 plated with brilliant heated grips for 16 plate and heated grips were awful. :084:

#8

Offline herveyw

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
  • Country: us
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 02:18:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Mab1067 [+]
hmmm, might be a bit cynical here. However probably be along the lines of "well sir, they are within the 5 to 10 degrees tolerance. Thats what the manual says. Therefore there is nothing we can do. Not allowed to change output as we dont have the GS911 or software that allows us to do anything."

Which is not much use if your using bike through out winter at say 4 degrees. That extra bit that can be adjusted would make one mighty improvement.
Had a similar issue with K1300S, traded in a 13 plated with brilliant heated grips for 16 plate and heated grips were awful. :084:

Probably.

Rode again today, 6C/43F most of the time, grips mostly on #3. Maybe I'm imagining things, or the isolation is really affecting me, but I swear the heat in the grips changed depending on how fast I was going: go faster, get hotter grips?

#9

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 1116
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
  • Country: gb
Re: XR 2021 Heated Grips Poor
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 12:06:34 PM
On my 2019 XR the dealer adjusted the grips heat via a software setting they could access - after that they were noticeably better, but not what you would call hot.

The bike management system does reduce or turn off power to the grips if low RPM to avoid draining the battery
PSH