Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Headers  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Wyatt

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Custer
Headers
on: January 23, 2021, 05:36:38 PM
Does anyone have a good feel for how closely the Black Widow and the Arrow headers mirror the Akrapovic; shape and size?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Headers
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 07:50:38 PM
I wouldn’t be bothering about the difference anyone will do, getting rid of the restrictive stock set up is the first move, after buying which ever headers...what device are you going to use to make those headers work the way they are supposed to ???

Is it worth...Jeez yes there’s another bike to had when your not sticking to the TUV rules  :002: and i’m Not just talking about max performance, bottom end fuelling is an absolute wonder.... 25mph in top gear and roll the throttle on...try doing that on a stocker

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:43 PM
I suspect that especially in the case of Black Widow - the easy route to header production would be to buy an Akra one and jig it. 

So - I think it will have the same bores, bend radii etc.

Arrows may have done their own?

Offline Wyatt

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:46:33 PM
I have a stock 2019 XR.  I did a Bren Tuning tune on it and the results I experienced exceeded my expectations.  I am very happy with it.

According to Bren Tuning, tuned results for the Akra header and end can as a system, results in an improvement of 8 – 10 HP.  That would be maybe 10 HP at red line of course.  A modest but not entirely insignificant improvement (6%).  The Akra header without the Akra end can doesn’t necessarily see that improvement.

My conclusion is that the stock exhaust (tuned), cat and all, is well engineered.

My thinking on the other two headers is in line with what Mareng1 stated.  When I look at pictures, it looks like the Black Widow could be a copy of the Akra.  Akra did the engineering, why not copy it?  Unless there is a legal reason.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:24:00 AM
This is something I looked at recently.

Bottom line is the Akra headers are the only ones that have a balance pipe out of the three. I talked to a few people that have experience in mapping S1000 engines and the consensus was the Akra were marginally better.

Just got my bike back together with akra headers and new low miles engine fired up this weekend :-) Blanked off the air injection too, next step is getting it dynod.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:35:43 AM

Quite easy as I had everything off.

Offline Wyatt

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:57 AM
Thanks for the reply bazzer.  Cool pic, inspiring.

Do the center two pipes share exhaust?  What’s the reason for that small pipe between the center two down pipes?

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 10:25:30 AM
It aids exhaust scavenging and tends to increase lower end torque a bit.

Offline Colin

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 08:09:42 PM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]

Bottom line is the Akra headers are the only ones that have a balance pipe out of the three. I talked to a few people that have experience in mapping S1000 engines and the consensus was the Akra were marginally better.

Just got my bike back together with akra headers and new low miles engine fired up this weekend :-) Blanked off the air injection too, next step is getting it dynod.
I take it your going for a ECU flash and Dyno?, as you probably saw I went for Brentune (stage 3) in the end and now all fitted and flashed c/w Sprint air filter, IAT sensor relocated to nose cone, acoustics insert removal & had already put full Black Widow exhaust on. Havnt had a chance to test it yet but a mate has a standard 2017 XR so when weather allows we are going to go side by side, top gear about 30-40mph and open throttles fully to check the real improvement, will hopefully capture it in video  :821:

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 08:33:10 PM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]

Bottom line is the Akra headers are the only ones that have a balance pipe out of the three.

My Arrow's have the little balance pipe.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!