Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2020 XR Dashcam Fitting  (Read 1348 times)

Online Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
2020 XR Dashcam Fitting
on: January 27, 2021, 05:11:11 PM
Has anyone fitted a Innovv K2 or similar dashcam to their XR? I have such a system rescued from a bike that I sold. I'm at a loss as to where I can mount the front camera, the rear is easy, but to get a secure reasonably vibration free fixing for the front camera is proving difficult. Any help ( photo's) would be greatly appreciated.
Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:20:18 PM by Molsal

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: 2020 XR Dashcam Fitting
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 05:59:42 PM
given the bullet size camera, in the air intake  with 3M 'mushroom' velcro? Need to drill a hole thru the housing, somewhere next to where the visible cable clamps for the OE wiring are. One could use a safety wire too.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:35 PM
I 3D printed a mount for my front camera. Sits under the offside indicator, and had minimal nearside obstruction.

Online Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 12:30:27 AM
*Originally Posted by philbuck [+]
I 3D printed a mount for my front camera. Sits under the offside indicator, and had minimal nearside obstruction.

That is one very nice solution, unfortunately I don't have a 3D printer or the skills to program one.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
Molsal, PM'd you

Phil

Online Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 12:29:26 PM
Responded , thank's Phil.

Offline Krunki

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW s1000xr
  • Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 05:58:46 PM
Does vibration affect video quality @philbuck? Can you please share some videos from front and rear camera?

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 06:50:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Krunki [+]
Does vibration affect video quality @philbuck? Can you please share some videos from front and rear camera?

I don't think it does.

I can only show you footage from the front, as any footage from the rear that I have/had (which is mounted a different way anyway), is pre Innovv getting their act together and upping the bit rate (when co-erced to do so by a third party!!), so it's less sharp and frankly not worth looking at.

But I'm well happy with it now, and suspect there's not much wrong with it at all. There is a slight loss of vision on the LHS where the fork/wheel is, but "c'est la vie"

See what you think
Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:52:11 PM by philbuck

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 04:05:12 AM
*Originally Posted by philbuck [+]
I don't think it does.

I can only show you footage from the front, as any footage from the rear that I have/had (which is mounted a different way anyway), is pre Innovv getting their act together and upping the bit rate (when co-erced to do so by a third party!!), so it's less sharp and frankly not worth looking at.

But I'm well happy with it now, and suspect there's not much wrong with it at all. There is a slight loss of vision on the LHS where the fork/wheel is, but "c'est la vie"

See what you think

Not bad. I've never run a camera, they seem to be popular on here.

What's up with your mates constantly blinking brake light?

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 08:59:58 PM
*Originally Posted by serge1966 [+]
LED lights flicker all the time, we just can't see it with the naked eye. LED's are run on alternating current, and it's the shutter speed on the camera that's responsible for recording the perceived flicker.
You would be less likely to record this at night, as the shutter speed is increased to capture more light (basic explanation, hope it makes some sense)
Here's another example of the XR on track without the brake light taped up:

In a camera shutter speed has to be reduced at night (or aperture increased) to let in more light to obtain a decent exposure, but perhaps the interaction makes sense (like a video of a monitor). The brake light didn't flicker all the time, and didn't flicker when fully on, so I wondered if it was one of those that flashes when first activated and the rider was riding the brake pedal.

As for LED running on AC, they would need a rectifier to do that as they are diodes, by definition. I believe everything on the bike is DC after the regulator/rectifier. Also, I am not an electrical engineer...

dysfunctional