Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trackday on the XR  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Couchy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Nottingham
Trackday on the XR
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
So who's done one and what was the bike like ?, I do 15-25 a year and have done 300+, I'm taking the XR with some sticky tyres on the next 3, I'll soon know but anyone got any experience, I think it'll be a giggle :)

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Re: Trackday on the XR
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:44:23 PM »
BvG did one.  His vid here:

I was at Odiham that day helping out at TBEX and watched him spank that thing round the track.  Fun to watch.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »
I've done a couple of trackdays at Croft and the XR was fine.  Only real feature was that the bars can get a bit of a waggle when hard on the throttle over bumps.  I ran in road and dynamic mode, depending on how warm the tyres were and at what point of the day I was playing.
Brakes were fine, no fade and I had plenty in reserve against Blades and the like.  I ran on the Bridgestone T30 Evos on which it was delivered, to be honest they were very good, lasted well but neither day was hot - it was Croft......

Have fun.
Regards
Scotti

Offline Couchy

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »
So the adventure bus went to donington park, booked into the intermediate group for a road bike day, no fast group available on these days. Rosso corsas fitted for the occasion. Dynamic pro mode installed which gives no anti wheelie but some traction control and no cornering abs or rear wheel lift control just simple abs on the front wheel.

Day was mixed conditions and cold but did get one dry session, I can't believe how good the XR was, it matched all the litre bikes around me on the short straights, it murdered 600's and wheelied properly down the back straight and out the Melbourne loop. Handling with the electronic suspension was superb, it was rock steady and easy to turn, the big bars helped loads on the brakes which was probably it's greatest strength, a few small traction control controlled slides towards the end of a 20min session as I assume the road tyre was getting warm but no dramas at all.

It surprised me just how much fun it was and how capable it was, roll on the next one

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE HP
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Couchy [+]
So the adventure bus went to donington park, booked into the intermediate group for a road bike day, no fast group available on these days. Rosso corsas fitted for the occasion. Dynamic pro mode installed which gives no anti wheelie but some traction control and no cornering abs or rear wheel lift control just simple abs on the front wheel.

Day was mixed conditions and cold but did get one dry session, I can't believe how good the XR was, it matched all the litre bikes around me on the short straights, it murdered 600's and wheelied properly down the back straight and out the Melbourne loop. Handling with the electronic suspension was superb, it was rock steady and easy to turn, the big bars helped loads on the brakes which was probably it's greatest strength, a few small traction control controlled slides towards the end of a 20min session as I assume the road tyre was getting warm but no dramas at all.

It surprised me just how much fun it was and how capable it was, roll on the next one

Proper job that, great stuff.

I'm only up the road from donington so I'll get the XR on there in a few weeks. :028:

Offline Couchy

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:26 AM »
This was a no limits road bike day less bikes and more relaxed highly recommended, doing another on 4th July and got rockingham on 7th may, will put track tyres on for that one :)

Offline Couchy

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:03:03 PM »
So second trackday done at rockingham national, this time i put race tyres on soft front and medium rear suoercorsas.

So first session, dynamic pro mode , dynamic esa suspension and set for rider plus luggage. Straight away its obvious the tyres have made it lively, going flat out from 2-3-4th on a constant gentle right its weaving a little, same again on an uphill straigjt where it wheelies over a crest in 3rd, sometimes gets very weavy and doesnt settle till i go for the brakes, its not too unerving but keeps the concentration. On the brakes it is superb, out of the corners the same with some nice slides out the 2nd gear ones and the odd bit of movement in some 4th gear ones. I try some more rear preload but it makes the weave a lot worse, next time i'm going to play more with tyre pressures. Ive also got rearsets to go on and I'm going to pull the forks through 5mm.
The amazing thing is how good it is and how impressed i was with the lap times, reading this weeks mcn their rider michael neeves on the new zx10r on race tyres did a 1m19s, me on the xr did a 1m23s, happy with that. Ive got loads of video to upload later

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE HP
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Couchy [+]
So second trackday done at rockingham national, this time i put race tyres on soft front and medium rear suoercorsas.

So first session, dynamic pro mode , dynamic esa suspension and set for rider plus luggage. Straight away its obvious the tyres have made it lively, going flat out from 2-3-4th on a constant gentle right its weaving a little, same again on an uphill straigjt where it wheelies over a crest in 3rd, sometimes gets very weavy and doesnt settle till i go for the brakes, its not too unerving but keeps the concentration. On the brakes it is superb, out of the corners the same with some nice slides out the 2nd gear ones and the odd bit of movement in some 4th gear ones. I try some more rear preload but it makes the weave a lot worse, next time i'm going to play more with tyre pressures. Ive also got rearsets to go on and I'm going to pull the forks through 5mm.
The amazing thing is how good it is and how impressed i was with the lap times, reading this weeks mcn their rider michael neeves on the new zx10r on race tyres did a 1m19s, me on the xr did a 1m23s, happy with that. Ive got loads of video to upload later

Unbelievably quick aren't they  :002:

Offline Couchy

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
What it loses mid corner through lack of front end feel it makes up for on the brakes, upto 130 it can live with the latest litre bikes, I'm more than happ

Offline Couchy

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »