Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2016 S1000XR with 400 miles, would you buy it?  (Read 809 times)

Offline scn101

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Town: Dallas, TX
2016 S1000XR with 400 miles, would you buy it?
on: January 29, 2021, 01:39:49 PM
Ran across a dealer that received a 2016 S1000XR from someone that due to health reasons no longer can ride.  Only 400 miles on the ODO.  I can't see it in person but from the pics it looks good.

The dealer replaced the battery and spark plugs, did a brake flush, and they had to clean the injectors and do a fuel tank flush, most likely due to stale gas.

It looks like the bike was stored in a garage but obviously it was not run for quite some time so I'm worried about dried out seal and internal engine corrosion.  Anyone have experience with a bike that sat for so long?  Do they age well unattended?  It seems like a decent price but I don't want a problem child, thoughts?

Here are two videos of the bike starting and running: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjbVoJZh5N8qgpQFM0xC7TqZagyxFA?e=q3n7CF

Online Crosshairs

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Re: 2016 S1000XR with 400 miles, would you buy it?
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 03:05:13 PM
It will most likely also need tires but would have no issue buying it .

Offline orbits

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:52:53 AM
I’d change the fluids (oil / coolant / brakes / fuel), the tyres, the battery and then probably run a tank of fuel system cleaner through it but other than that, it’s probably a case of what you see is what you get. If it looks ok it’s probably ok.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:13:12 AM
I doubt there would be any corrosion in the engine if it has sat idle. There will be no combustion products kicking about to form condensation needed for corrosion. Probably better if it has never been run for 10 minutes to "warm it up" once a month.

Fork seals might have dried out so worth checking but hardly a costly repair and many people buying a 2016 bike will have had to replace them anyway.

Check the chain for corrosion and tight spots. Make sure everything works. If something doesn't check for rodent damage to wiring. Look for spider webs or bird nests in the airbox, fairing etc. This will give you an idea of where it was stored and the preparation the dealer has actually done.

Make sure the brakes work and that the pistons push back - you would hope the dealer checked this when they did the fluid flush.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 11:40:35 AM
The punch line for me is... stored in a garage... what kind of garage, when we moved to the house we live in now...put a bike in the garage over winter and it got ruined with damp, got so upset long story short....knocked the the house and garage down and built another....my bikes now live in a garage with central heating exactly the same temp as my living room.

Changing plugs!!! Just because it’s been standing??, tyres most certainly who the hell is going to go out on a 150hp+ bike with 4 year old tyres.

My greatest concern looking at the vid is all the bikes stored where the floor is clearly awash  :003:, i’d Want to see it in person, if it’s a case of having to buy over the phone with a couple vids...I’d walk away...there will be another.
Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:42:08 AM by Winger

Online runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 03:01:15 PM
If it's what you want and the price is right, I would go for it and not let the long storage kill the deal.  I second what Wessie said, specially that with only 400 miles there is no combustion acids in the engine.  It sounds great in the videos, and it comes with the panniers and the tank bag?