Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2020: What are these connections for?  (Read 361 times)

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
2020: What are these connections for?
on: January 30, 2021, 10:29:19 PM
I'm about to mount a phone+charger having removed the GPS cradle, also considering an ezCAN (or Clearwater CANOpener), so I'm poking around while also remounting a tank panel the dealer messed up.

One of these may match the 2018 power thread, but can anyone confirm what they are for?

The first is on the right side behind the side panel:

The second is on the left side under the set, looks a bit like the GPS connector:

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: 2020: What are these connections for?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 03:26:38 PM
First one is the mounting for the SOS module. Part of me wants to cut that wiring and use that spot for some tools, but it has a CAN bus terminal resistor inside the connector cap. Second one I don't know. Think I measured it, is not a 12V supply, and wiring colours are different too from the 12V.

Edit:
I have used the first connector on the LH side (so next to OBD and 40amp fuse) to power my electronic oiler, and an Aliexpress 2x USB charger.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the right required connector can not be found. The connector has the hook to attach it, the OEM wiring just clips in. I have solved it by selecting the right needles from my wife's sewing stuff, drilled  two holes in the original cap, plastic foil between the two, crimped wires onto the needles, carefully assembled the bits, filled the connector up with glue, waited 24 hrs, Disassemble and get rid of the plastic foil. Works sofar (6 months) but little riding. Needles are stainless steel, so no problem there.One USB output for phone, the other one to a small powerbank. I use the powerbank to charge stuff with key off
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:55:03 PM by Salem

dysfunctional