Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Comminication with mobile phone  (Read 497 times)

Offline ogi22

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Ljubljana
Comminication with mobile phone
on: February 04, 2021, 08:50:02 PM
Hello

Has anyone already connected the navigation rotary button to a mobile phone?

Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:53:29 PM by ogi22

Online Darty65

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
Re: Comminication with mobile phone
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:17 PM
Have seen adverts for WunderLINQ. Has anyone got experience of using one with an iPhone?

Offline rustik23

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S100XR
  • Town: MOSCOW
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:13:40 AM
You don't think that when you attach it to WunderLINQ, there will be vibration on your smartphone.
What can break the camera on modern smartphones.
For this reason, you have to use a Quadlock or SP-connect with a special damper....

The iPhone can be controlled through the headset (Cardo/Sena) in the helmet by the command "Hello Siri"

Offline ogi22

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Ljubljana
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:32:54 AM
i will made my custom holder for phone and that phone ( note 8 ) will be only for navigation.
WunderLINQ is too expensive and i dont need using other apps just for google maps.
Need to know witch comminication using... canbus protocol?

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:37:45 AM
Yes, it is CANBus and I believe the signals travel through the #2 wire from the GPS connector.

WunderLINQ connects where the GPS unit would, sees these messages and, using Bluetooth, sends the wheel movement to their app on the phone as key presses. It also captures other telemetry such as RPM, tire pressure, lean angle, etc and this too appears in their app. The device itself offers a Bluetooth service so its possible to write your own app in place of theirs.

I seriously considered it (good to support this kind of project) but since I have a 2020 model, a lot of the data they capture is already available on the TFT display. If you have an earlier model, it could be interesting to see that on your phone positioned above the clocks. In the end, I removed my GPS cradle and put a Quadlock (with damper) there instead, plus USB power. And I won't be able to interact with the phone through the wheel. As it is, I cannot quite get the interaction between the bike, the phone and my helmet headset working the way I want, e.g. Google or Apple maps directions that interrupt the 2-way comms with my son. I am not a huge fan of the BMW Connected app, the maps are not great, the speed limits are wrong and it won't rotate to landscape mode.

Without a device like WunderLINQ you're not going to be able to integrate your phone directly; even on a 2020 with Bluetooth, BMW does not publish any info about the bluetooth services on the bike and I haven't seen anyone who has figured it out yet (if someone does, I'd love a link). For the CANBus messages themselves, at least Denali, HEX ezCAN and Clearwater have made the effort so they can integrate their various CAN devices. Maybe someone has published a list on the internet.

Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 04:38:41 AM by herveyw

dysfunctional