Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2020 XR Screen adjustment lever on old gen bike?  (Read 671 times)

Offline Dark Rider

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
2020 XR Screen adjustment lever on old gen bike?
on: February 10, 2021, 06:38:29 AM
Hey guys :)

Has any one retrofitted the arm and lever for the screen height adjustment to their older model bikes?

One of my pet peeves is the lack of arm on the old gen. When I test rode the new model I enjoyed being able to quickly adjust the screen height.

If you got the part would it be straight swap and fit?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Re: 2020 XR Screen adjustment lever on old gen bike?
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:14:30 AM
Good point, the Gen 2 screen does look nice and easy to adjust, I don’t know but wouldn’t have thought that the Gen 2 adjuster would fit straight on to a Gen 1 but if not maybe some sort of home mod could be done, then I would imagine you’d need the Gen 2 screen? :012:

Offline OW31

• XR Member
  • Town: Brisbane
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 05:28:37 AM
*Originally Posted by Dark Rider [+]
Hey guys :)

Has any one retrofitted the arm and lever for the screen height adjustment to their older model bikes?

One of my pet peeves is the lack of arm on the old gen. When I test rode the new model I enjoyed being able to quickly adjust the screen height.

If you got the part would it be straight swap and fit?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

How often do you want to adjust your screen? Once it's set for your riding position that's it.

Offline Dark Rider

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:16 AM
*Originally Posted by OW31 [+]
How often do you want to adjust your screen? Once it's set for your riding position that's it.

I set it to the low position for fast riding or track days and high for crusing etc. I change it often enough to get annoyed by not having the lever  :008:

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:30:42 AM
I adjust mine too, if its raining really bad I might lift it up to give me some protection. If its 35DegC I will put it down for more air flow.

Cruise control and use both hands :-)

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:05:18 AM
I'v the 2020 assembly in a few pieces as I'm looking at putting the screen more flat by removing those two braces. If it works i'll keep the lever to be able to put it back to original :012:

The levers' rotating bushing fits on a 8mm pin that is pressed in, and is locked with a circlip. On the screen side the bushing in the lever fits on a 6mm pressed in pin. If if works then i think you have the place the lever on the left side (that would be one improvement :002:).The offset on each side is then 10mm.  Thus the measurement between the outside of the bushings (with the lever on the left side) on the riders' side is 20mm more than on the screen. The width of the 8mm bushing is 20mm, the width of the 6mm one is 10mm.The lever is part of the assembly, you can not buy it separately. But the 900XR has the same assy. Hope this helps,

Offline Dark Rider

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:09:57 AM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
I'v the 2020 assembly in a few pieces as I'm looking at putting the screen more flat by removing those two braces. If it works i'll keep the lever to be able to put it back to original :012:

The levers' rotating bushing fits on a 8mm pin that is pressed in, and is locked with a circlip. On the screen side the bushing in the lever fits on a 6mm pressed in pin. If if works then i think you have the place the lever on the left side (that would be one improvement :002:).The offset on each side is then 10mm.  Thus the measurement between the outside of the bushings (with the lever on the left side) on the riders' side is 20mm more than on the screen. The width of the 8mm bushing is 20mm, the width of the 6mm one is 10mm.The lever is part of the assembly, you can not buy it separately. But the 900XR has the same assy. Hope this helps,

Very helpful! Thank you for this information :)

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:11:19 AM
Be interesting to see some pictures if you have it apart :-)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 08:17:51 AM
I presume all you lot are talking about riding the bike solo....i’ve Never found a screen that works for both of us in the high position, think it was screen number 3 or was it 4  :084: before finding one that worked for both of us on the low setting, having a tankbag also affected what was going on as well, hence why any attempt at the high setting normally gets me a smack in the back of the head  :001:

Offline Dark Rider

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 08:26:51 AM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I presume all you lot are talking about riding the bike solo....i’ve Never found a screen that works for both of us in the high position, think it was screen number 3 or was it 4  :084: before finding one that worked for both of us on the low setting, having a tankbag also affected what was going on as well, hence why any attempt at the high setting normally gets me a smack in the back of the head  :001:

Haha mostly solo riding for me. Im also quite a lot taller than my wife so I am her windscreen  :008: