Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: S1000RR vs S1000XR  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Fordy99

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Cambs
S1000RR vs S1000XR
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
Guys,
I had a chance to do a back to back comparison of a S1000RR vs S1000XR today. So here is a purely subjective review of both bikes.

Engine
Surprisingly, the biggest difference I found was that the engine in the RR is much smoother, admittedly it has 6500 miles rather than 600 on the XR but it was noticeably smoother.

Vibrations & Buffeting
Interesting comparison was the non-existant vibes on the RR and bizarrely the lack of buffeting on the RR - mainly because it is literally 'in yer face'. The XR isn't bad at all it was just that the buffeting was more 'focussed' on the XR whereas the buffeting on the RR was more general and body based rather than head and shoulders.

Mirrors
Rear view mirrors were just as shaky on both bikes. Less so on the right side on the RR, I think mainly because it had a camera mount on the mirror strut which acted as a dampener to reduce the shaking.

Gear Change
One thing I really missed on the RR was the Gear Shift Assist Pro, the ability to go down the box without the clutch is fantastic on the XR and the change quality on the XR was much much better too.

Sound
RR wins, both had Akky slip-ons but the RR just sounded better (and louder).  That said, you probably don't want the same sound on the XR because it is for a different audience.

Wind resistance
Weird one this, but I found a difference hence why I've included it. The RR seemed to 'cut' through the wind better - it may be the higher power or because the RR was black and therefore slips through the air better.  As everyone knows black is always faster because light bends around it causing less resistance. The XR was white

General
Appreciate that I'm comparing a 4 year old bike with a 4 week old bike but you could see and feel the similarities to make this a valid comparison.

Which would I choose?
Horses for courses, RR for being mad and track days. XR for touring, although it is so capable that it could easily be a 'do everything' bike. I don't need to choose because I'm lucky enough to own both of them.

I wonder what the XR would be with another 30hp !!

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
Re: S1000RR vs S1000XR
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
All the things you point out are just common differences between sports and upright bikes in general. My blade had no buffeting at all and yet I get it on every upright bike.  Ear plugs was the easiest solution. I may very well buy an RR to go in the garage beside my xr. If I'm going for a quick scoot on my own I'd take the rr, but Sunday coast trip with the boys, going to work, around town it's the xr every time.

The rr is a seriously impressive machine,  but so is the xr... The amount of sports bikes I have embarrassed on it is comical. I still maintain on a tight,  twisty road in the real world the xr would still have the rr all day long. They are track bikes, not much use for.the road

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
The buffeting is the "dirty" air

I cured the problem with Puig screen

Other than that  I have to say there is no direct comparison between the 2 bikes "chalk and cheese"

I would happily tour on a RR and equally do a track day on my XR although i do know which would suit the tasks best
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Tonym

• XR Member
  • Bike: Xr1000se
  • Town: Staffs
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
Ayup I read this and don't get the reason fo a comparison as the bikes are of different packages one for fast SPORT riding the other for all round fun a bit of both worlds as for the vibes and wind again get down on the tank and there won't be any difference but when I go out on the xr it just makes me smile all the time were as my blade makes me smile in a different way as you ride completely differently horses for courses me thinks  :010:

Offline Fordy99

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Cambs
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
I own both bikes so did a comparison for fun - simples.

Offline Parmenion

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »
RR for track only! XR for all other occasions. But since no bike is perfect (RR and XR are close to perfect at this technology era - maybe electrical in the future) I wish an XR with RR power and weight. That is -30 kg and +40 Hp. Oh, add some LED lights and a hydraulic clutch to both.