Author Project “Farkle XR” started!!!  (Read 4780 times)

• Offline kwarrs1000xr   gb

• XR Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline kwarrs1000xr

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: X1000SR
    • Town: St. Albans
    Project “Farkle XR” started!!!
    on: February 14, 2021, 08:46:32 pm
    February 14, 2021, 08:46:32 pm
    So, lockdown 2 (or is it 3 after the ‘tier 4’ thingy???? has got the better of me!!
    After I part x’d my Kwaka GTR (GREAT bike) for the XR I swore my farkling days were over.

I DID put a new Puig taller screen on the bike just after buying it, and that transformed the ride…. But I don’t classify that as a farkle!! Haha ha.

But, I have been sooo bored - the lockdown in decent weather seemed ‘not too bad’…. but this time in the freezing cold, I’ve had no sport to do, no riding and a complete lack of ‘fun things’!!!

So, armed with a credit card and the internet I set about the project. This site has been invaluable in the research stage, so thank you all the previous posters for recommendations, tips and advice.

The list) (in which I ordered) – fitting is ongoing and due to this bloody lockdown NOT ending anytime soon, I am deliberately spreading the project out over an inordinate amount of time. Oh, and as I have removed all the fairings, I am including a ‘deep clean’ and a “anti-rust treatment” in the project. But I digress….:

Evotech
    Front and rear spindle “bobbins”
    Engine ‘drop bobbins”

Denali
    D2 Spotlights
    SmartCan accessory controller
    Mini Sound bomb horn

Cymarc
    Light duty spotlight brackets
    Rad and oil cooler guards
    Exhaust heel guard
    Sidestand extender

I have also utilised two red BikeVis LED bullets that I had ‘in-stock’ and wired them into the CanSmart as rear lights/flashing brake lights. These are fitted to a light ali plate, which I have (will) bolt to the underside of the rear rack.

The bike is ‘sorned’ at the moment (not taxed for our overseas brethren), so as it is just sitting in the garage gathering dust…. It seemed a great time to do it. I’ve really enjoyed the project so far, I will admit to some nervousness removing the plastic fairings, but apart from one errant bolt falling to the floor and disappearing…. All went very well and smoothly.
    The CanSmart is named very accurately, it REALLY is plug and play!!. Yes, I could have saved some dosh by buying cheaper spotlights and wiring them in myself, but the Denali kit is excellent as you just plug it all in and ‘hey presto’!!
    The horn seems so much louder, of course it’s a bit ‘false’ as I have only tried out in my garage, but I am assuming it’ll be much better than standard on the road, especially as the spotlights strobe at the same time as the horn is activated 

The Cymarc stuff is due to arrive next week so, the ‘putting it all back together’ phase will start very soon, and thank goodness, a ‘not as cold’ spell is coming, so hopefully I won’t need the TWO fan heaters on!!!

• Online Quent   england

• XR Member  ‐    60

Online Quent

• XR Member
    • The older I get the faster I was!
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Re: Project “Farkle XR” started!!!
    Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:22:11 pm
    February 14, 2021, 10:22:11 pm
    Hi ,

I think perhaps I have the same affliction! Unfortunately this lockdown is sending us all stir crazy. Picked up my new to me 2018 XR in October last year and only managed 500 miles on it! So the Farkling crept up on me whilst i wasn't looking!! So far some, but not all of the farkling I have carried out, Electronic Scottoiler, ZVMX Gold chain, Puig touring screen in dark smoke, Puig adjustable levers, Hex Ezcan2, Denali S4 lights, Denali Split sound bomb(a bit Loud), Innovv K2 dashcam, Led side light bulbs and PIAA Nightech bulbs. Got full set of luggage and having it painted Motorsport blue along with my Schuberth Helmet!! Trying to stop now but just fitted Samco hoses!! Also got a set of Matt Gecko LED headlights on the way from the USA!! Think I might need help!! Or better still some decent weather and lifting of the lockdown so i can go ride. Keep looking at the Ilmberger website but so far managed to resist, but for how long!
    What could possibly go wrong!!

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2284

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:17:43 pm
    February 15, 2021, 09:17:43 pm
    I think there was a "farkle" list thread on here from some time back....buggered if I can find it though... :027:

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline PhilMill   gb

• XR Member  ‐    93

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
    • Bike: '17 S1000XR
    • Town: Mid Wales.
    Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 08:33:44 am
    February 16, 2021, 08:33:44 am
    Love it, what else to do in lock down! I got so bored I stripped mine down to give it a proper clean.... looks like new again now.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.....

• Offline LeftCoastKen   ca

• XR Member  ‐    61

Offline LeftCoastKen

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
    • Town: Victoria, BC
    Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 04:06:04 pm
    February 16, 2021, 04:06:04 pm

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2284

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:01 pm
    February 16, 2021, 07:41:01 pm
    *Originally Posted by LeftCoastKen [+]

That's the one...thank you..! :028:

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Online Quent   england

• XR Member  ‐    60

Online Quent

• XR Member
    Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:49:01 pm
    February 16, 2021, 07:49:01 pm
    Thanks guys. See i  have a long way to go before I catch you up. Still early Farkling days for me.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3544

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:05:57 pm
    February 16, 2021, 08:05:57 pm
    Not Farkling but Farkling that works.

Although I bought my X/R new I was well connected enough to tell e’m i didn’t want the stock seat and started with high HP, and it still took 2 more before I stumbled across the right one.

Screens? Not sure if it’s 3 or 4

Levers....Aftermarket  loved the front brake...didn’t like the clutch, so the clutch is stock, looks like next stop is HP.

With so many bikes, keep parts in 65 litre storage box’s to my astonishment checking today found a empty sound bomb box with an OE horn  :087:, never mind what i’ve Bought and never fitted.
    Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:07:19 pm by Winger

• Offline hotdogtom   ca

• XR Junior  ‐    3

Offline hotdogtom

• XR Junior
    • Bike: S1000xr
    • Town: Montreal
    Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 05:52:22 am
    March 13, 2021, 05:52:22 am
    *Originally Posted by Quent [+]
    Hi ,

I think perhaps I have the same affliction! Unfortunately this lockdown is sending us all stir crazy. Picked up my new to me 2018 XR in October last year and only managed 500 miles on it! So the Farkling crept up on me whilst i wasn't looking!! So far some, but not all of the farkling I have carried out, Electronic Scottoiler, ZVMX Gold chain, Puig touring screen in dark smoke, Puig adjustable levers, Hex Ezcan2, Denali S4 lights, Denali Split sound bomb(a bit Loud), Innovv K2 dashcam, Led side light bulbs and PIAA Nightech bulbs. Got full set of luggage and having it painted Motorsport blue along with my Schuberth Helmet!! Trying to stop now but just fitted Samco hoses!! Also got a set of Matt Gecko LED headlights on the way from the USA!! Think I might need help!! Or better still some decent weather and lifting of the lockdown so i can go ride. Keep looking at the Ilmberger website but so far managed to resist, but for how long!

Where did you mount the Denali S4’s?  I am considering the same lights but can’t decide where to mount them!

• Online Quent   england

• XR Member  ‐    60

Online Quent

• XR Member
    Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 04:26:04 pm
    March 13, 2021, 04:26:04 pm
    I mounted them at the sides of the fairing near the bmw badge using the brackets from China off flyaway. Work really well. Will try to load up a pic, but tech is not my strongpoint :012:0