Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: How to Obtain Top Performance?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Buckshot

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Orlando
How to Obtain Top Performance?
on: February 21, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
My 2016 XR tops out at 122 mph. As it is at 11,000 miles, and the break-in service was performed many miles ago, and... Dynamic Pro is available to me, i.e. it is switched on, I'm perplexed why my top speed is so low. My guess is the dealer provided the under seat plug-in for Pro, but never adjusted the software beyond break-in mode? Does this seem like a logical conclusion?

In reaching the 122 limit, I was in Dynamic mode. Does the XR need to be in Dynamic Pro to move beyond the 122 pace? The rev lighting is coming on at the lower RMPs (again, in Dynamic mode as I have not yet fully pushed/tested the Pro mode) suggesting the computer is still under the impression of break-in mode.

Any educated know how and suggestions on this?
Buckshot

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: How to Obtain Top Performance?
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 04:50:24 PM
Should go way faster than that unless it is restricted.
PSH

Online Crosshairs

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 05:07:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Buckshot [+]
My 2016 XR tops out at 122 mph. As it is at 11,000 miles, and the break-in service was performed many miles ago, and... Dynamic Pro is available to me, i.e. it is switched on, I'm perplexed why my top speed is so low. My guess is the dealer provided the under seat plug-in for Pro, but never adjusted the software beyond break-in mode? Does this seem like a logical conclusion?

In reaching the 122 limit, I was in Dynamic mode. Does the XR need to be in Dynamic Pro to move beyond the 122 pace? The rev lighting is coming on at the lower RMPs (again, in Dynamic mode as I have not yet fully pushed/tested the Pro mode) suggesting the computer is still under the impression of break-in mode.

Ive done 141 in dynamic mode so you certainly dont need to be in pro....and the rev light ( shift light) is user adjustable, so was the light just flashing or was the rev limiter actually intervening?

Offline Buckshot

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:27:43 PM
Both. Light flashing and rev limiter screaming Uncle! Uncle!
Buckshot

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 05:32:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Buckshot [+]

Is the bike in 6th and the Rev counter needle in the red?

Does the bike have stock gearing?

Offline Buckshot

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:34 PM
Bike is in 6th. Stock gearing. Good question on the needle - Not sure. I need to pay more attention to this.
Buckshot

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 05:38:22 PM
This would be weird for an US bike, but in some european countries one can purchase the XR from the BMW plant limited to I believe 70kW for tax reasons. On the pre 2020 the red plug came in a bag labelled "for track use only", and would give full power when plugged in. That limited power is also available on the 2020, but as I've not seen a red plug I believe it's dealer software now. Would that restriction have been put on your bike??

Offline Buckshot

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 05:50:37 PM
Your question has me thinking, and yes, maybe a restriction was put on the bike (?).  I bought the XR with 2000 miles on it from an individual, not a dealer.  Prior to his ownership of the machine it was a demo bike at the local dealership. The first owner had the initial service conducted and plug installed, but the bike's association to the demo world may have had an influence on how its software was set up.

I think my next step includes a trip to the dealer for software evaluation.

Thanks guys for all the good comments, and questions.  Much appreciated.   
Buckshot

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 08:28:06 PM
Another thing to check: The ex works reduced power bikes have a 89 dBA noise level stamped on the data plate on the left side on the steering column. That's way less than 94? on the 2020 full power.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 09:07:20 PM
Something is definitely wrong...a stock XR should do close to 200kmh+ in 4th gear. 122mph is only 196kmh.

They top out at well over 245-250kmh...some have had even more.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!