Author Topic: M Endurance Maintenance Free Chain  (Read 9362 times)

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Re: M Endurance Maintenance Free Chain
Reply #60 on: January 12, 2022, 08:46:19 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
The mechanic who just did my 24K mile service at 25K miles yesterday said my endurance chain was fine to use, but that it needed to be replaced when they get the on-order replacements in. So, to recap, I treated my endurance chain like a standard chain until 12,000 miles, i.e., I lubed it every time I returned from a full day of riding, plus it was cleaned and lubed whenever it got dirty. After 12K miles, I started treating it as my owner's manual recommended: It was cleaned and lubed only when it got dirty, salty, etc., and at the 18K mile service. I have checked the chain slack regularly the whole time and four dealers checked it at various times, but it wasn't until 18K miles that the chain had too much slack and I had to adjust it. Between 18K and 24K, I had to adjust the slack once. Personally, I think the limiting factor here is the seals; I think they dry out without regularly lubrication. So, my next experiment will be using an endurance chain with a Scottoiler so the seals are kept lubricated.

I think any high-quality ‘normal’ chain will perform outstandingly with a scottoiler, so you can save the ‘endurance’ premium.

Online SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #61 on: January 12, 2022, 10:38:02 PM
I'm giving the 'Maint Free' chain a go to see how it does. I had a Chameleon Plus oiler on, set to it's lowest setting. Even then the rear of the bike and rear wheel were disgustingly dirty(and very quickly). If the BMW unobtanium chain gives me at least the same mileage without having to either clean the bike or Oil the chain every 500 miles, I'll be happy with that. Doesn't mean that it is everyone's cup of tea!

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #62 on: January 13, 2022, 02:17:21 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I'm giving the 'Maint Free' chain a go to see how it does. I had a Chameleon Plus oiler on, set to it's lowest setting. Even then the rear of the bike and rear wheel were disgustingly dirty(and very quickly). If the BMW unobtanium chain gives me at least the same mileage without having to either clean the bike or Oil the chain every 500 miles, I'll be happy with that. Doesn't mean that it is everyone's cup of tea!

Very good point that I should included in my recap. The benefits of the endurance chain isn't so much mega or unlimited endurance, but (1) minimal need for lubrication; minimal need for adjustments; and (3) a pretty much pristine rear wheel area. Thanks for reminding me of this last benefit. I agree with you and I'm giving up my intent to try a Scottoiler; I don't like messy.

dysfunctional