Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: SPARE KEY  (Read 215 times)

Offline WHKS1000XR

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: NAMIBIA
SPARE KEY
on: February 23, 2021, 01:20:24 PM
HI all .

thanks for letting me be part of a new Chapter. I have had lots of motorcycles , but this is my first BMW. jUST BOUGHT A 2016 S 1000 XR with only 14 000 km's . Previous owner said on day one he only received one key , from the dealership , is that correct ? Dont BMW come with a second key ? I will like to know more about the bike , but will first search and see if there has been q and Answers previously .  Regards.

Offline Mike

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sport SE
  • Town: Beverley
Re: SPARE KEY
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:38:09 PM
If the previous owner got it from new should have had two keys

Offline WHKS1000XR

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 02:54:46 PM
Hi thanks so much for your reply . Yes he bought it new from a dealer .Whats funny he brought me another key today , but it is like with a BMW small badge emblem on and silver in the center. It fits 100 % switches the ignition on , but does not want to start . As the one i got now is just black and works fine . But keys look the same just working one is Black looks like it should have been spare key and the good looking one as said does not allow to start the bike . Do you have photos of how the keys should look . Much appreciated for the help thus far . Stay safe .

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 06:15:35 PM
*Originally Posted by WHKS1000XR [+]
Hi thanks so much for your reply . Yes he bought it new from a dealer .Whats funny he brought me another key today , but it is like with a BMW small badge emblem on and silver in the center. It fits 100 % switches the ignition on , but does not want to start . As the one i got now is just black and works fine . But keys look the same just working one is Black looks like it should have been spare key and the good looking one as said does not allow to start the bike . Do you have photos of how the keys should look . Much appreciated for the help thus far . Stay safe .

Yes, one key is shiny, with a metal surround for the BMW logo. The "spare" key just has a black, moulded plastic surround.

The keys have a transponder in them which should be coded to the ECU. I suspect your seller lost a key then had a 2nd key cut but did not get it coded to the bike. Your BMW dealer should be able to oblige in exchange for a fee, enabling the new key to start the bike.

Offline WHKS1000XR

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 05:12:09 AM
Thanks for everyone's help thus far , i will go and find out if they can assist.

dysfunctional