Author GEN-1 OEM panniers questions  (Read 2446 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline wildspeedy   ca

    • XR Member  ‐    31
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline wildspeedy

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 31
    • Bike: xr 1000 2017
    • Town: Montreal
    • Country: ca
    GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    on: February 23, 2021, 01:42:33 pm
    February 23, 2021, 01:42:33 pm
    Hi guys, 2 questions before buying a set of used OEM panniers.

    1-First if i buy a used set of panniers of a 2016 to put on my 2017 are they the same? will they fit my oem racks ?
    2-If i want to use the keys from my bike on the other guy's panniers, do i need to go to a dealer or is it easy to reset the coding on the locks?

    Thank's
    Dan

  • Online SimonUK   us

    • XR Master  ‐    931
    • ****
      #1

    Online SimonUK

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 931
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:46:13 pm
    February 23, 2021, 03:46:13 pm
    1-First if i buy a used set of panniers of a 2016 to put on my 2017 are they the same? will they fit my oem racks ? if they are OEM then yes
    2-If i want to use the keys from my bike on the other guy's panniers, do i need to go to a dealer or is it easy to reset the coding on the locks? you can do it yourself if you have spare tumblers, there are many YT videos, some dealers will do it for free, others not!

  • Offline Anchorman   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    89
    • **
      #2

    Offline Anchorman

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 89
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Wakefield
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 04:07:27 pm
    February 23, 2021, 04:07:27 pm
    As previous reply, be warned though that when changing the tumblers, the accompanying springs are very small and easy to lose. Not a difficult job though.

  • Offline wildspeedy   ca

    • XR Member  ‐    31
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline wildspeedy

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 31
    • Bike: xr 1000 2017
    • Town: Montreal
    • Country: ca
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:20:55 pm
    February 23, 2021, 05:20:55 pm
    ok thank's for the info.

  • Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1202
    • *****
      #4

    Offline PaulS1000XR

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1202
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 07:31:30 pm
    February 23, 2021, 07:31:30 pm
    Dealer will recode the locks to your key. Its not that expensive and a lot easier
    PSH

  • Offline bagwafu   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    242
    • ***
      #5

    Offline bagwafu

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 242
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    • Town: Somerset
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 12:14:53 pm
    March 15, 2021, 12:14:53 pm
    Sorry to jump on this thread but does anyone here know a painless method of removing the lock barrels from the OEM panniers? (locked or unlocked and with the key)

    I spent a lot of time yesterday failing miserably before giving up.  I've searched the web and saw a couple of solutions; cant get the bent pin method to work and started taking the pannier apart to get the locking mechanism exposed but reached a dead end as its all moulded together.  Any help/advice appreciated.
    2021 S1000XR TE

  • Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1202
    • *****
      #6

    Offline PaulS1000XR

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1202
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 01:12:08 pm
    March 15, 2021, 01:12:08 pm
    Dealer has a tool they use to insert into the keyhole, takes a few seconds. There are some YouTube videos that show how to do it but never used them as I just go to the dealer. Watch out when you get the barrel out as springs and tumblers fly everywhere
    PSH

  • Offline bagwafu   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    242
    • ***
      #7

    Offline bagwafu

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 242
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    • Town: Somerset
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 01:15:11 pm
    March 15, 2021, 01:15:11 pm
    Yeah I've seen all those vids.  My paperclip attempts didnt work.  Hence my question if there's another way at all.  Cant use the dealer unless I drive there as the panniers wont attach to the new bike I'm getting.

    *Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
    Dealer has a tool they use to insert into the keyhole, takes a few seconds. There are some YouTube videos that show how to do it but never used them as I just go to the dealer. Watch out when you get the barrel out as springs and tumblers fly everywhere
    2021 S1000XR TE

  • Offline RyanGTXR   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    330
    • ***
      #8

    Offline RyanGTXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 330
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 03:15:03 pm
    March 15, 2021, 03:15:03 pm
    *Originally Posted by bagwafu [+]
    Sorry to jump on this thread but does anyone here know a painless method of removing the lock barrels from the OEM panniers? (locked or unlocked and with the key)

    I spent a lot of time yesterday failing miserably before giving up.  I've searched the web and saw a couple of solutions; cant get the bent pin method to work and started taking the pannier apart to get the locking mechanism exposed but reached a dead end as its all moulded together.  Any help/advice appreciated.


    Remove screws you can see around the locking mech' inside the pannier.
    Pull out rubber seal around pannier edge. Under that seal you will see screws around the full circumference of the pannier (torx T10 I think but don't quote me) Once all those are out the pannier halfs will split and shell will pull off.
    You should be able to see the rear of the mech' now through a bit of a hole. With key inserted into lock, poke around in the gap at the back to push in the barrel locking tab and pull out the whole lock barrel. Tabs and springs will not fly off if key is in.

    This is going off memory from couple years ago but wasn't difficult or very time consuming
    Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:18:23 pm by RyanGTXR

  • Offline bagwafu   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    242
    • ***
      #9

    Offline bagwafu

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 242
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    • Town: Somerset
    • Country: gb
    Re: GEN-1 OEM panniers questions
    Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 03:31:35 pm
    March 15, 2021, 03:31:35 pm
    Thanks Ryan, will give it a go - can you remember what position the key should be in (vertical or horizontal) when you release the tab?

    *Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]

    Remove screws you can see around the locking mech' inside the pannier.
    Pull out rubber seal around pannier edge. Under that seal you will see screws around the full circumference of the pannier (torx T10 I think but don't quote me) Once all those are out the pannier halfs will split and shell will pull off.
    You should be able to see the rear of the mech' now through a bit of a hole. With key inserted into lock, poke around in the gap at the back to push in the barrel locking tab and pull out the whole lock barrel. Tabs and springs will not fly off if key is in.

    This is going off memory from couple years ago but wasn't difficult or very time consuming
    2021 S1000XR TE

     



    dysfunctional