Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: New bike buying advice UK  (Read 478 times)

Offline Mumbo Jumbo

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Ducati Multistra
  • Town: County Durham
New bike buying advice UK
on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:41 PM
Evening everyone, I would be very grateful for any buying advice, negotiating tips when buying a new bike. I’ve been lusting after a Sport TE and I’m close to pulling the trigger.

UK members do you have any advice on how much room for negotiation the dealers have ? Would you expect a percentage discount or freebies in lieu of a discount or nothing at all.

I’ve got 2 or 3 quotes they’re all new bikes the dealers have in stock but they’re all slightly different specs.

One dealer has a new TE for sale they have de-specked the keyless ignition as they say this is a common fault in the XR and the GS. Is this true ? Or should I steer clear.

Many thanks for in advance for any tips.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: New bike buying advice UK
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:46 PM
My advice is don't procrastinate.

By the time lockdown eases and the weather warms, stock will dwindle. Production lines and distribution are affected by Covid and new import regulations after Brexit. Prices are also likely to rise.

You need to factor in the value of buying locally or from a dealer with a good reputation. To me this is more important than saving £200 on the bottom line. I'd certainly pay a bit extra to buy a bike from Cotswold than go to Cardiff to buy from M&P! Cotswold are a decent dealer and only 2 miles away.

I've had a keyless bike for over 4 years without problem, a R1200RS. I had no choice as it was a stock bike with the option fitted. There have been a small number of problems reported on the GS & RS forum but seems rare to me. It's not really something to use as a factor to sway a decision, unless you are choosing between 2 bikes at the same dealer.

Offline Darty65

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 12:25:21 AM
I thought keyless was standard on the TE so maybe you should check the spec. I’ve had it on my gen 2 XR and a GS and it’s been faultless.

I bought my latest bike from Duncan at Park Lane BMW in London with an IAM discount. Doesn’t matter where you buy the bike if you’ve got a good relationship with a local BMW garage. Having said that, for only £200 I wouldn’t have travelled from the South coast to London.

Offline Mumbo Jumbo

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 06:48:43 AM
Thank you Darty and Wessie, interesting about the prices going up.

My nearest dealer is BMW Sunderland - has anyone dealt with them ?

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:43:59 AM
You’ll never beat the dealer, they’ll have their minimum and won’t go below it. In my experience BMW dealers are good and professional because a lot of them sell cars as well and bring top end automotive standards to the bike world. I’ll keep buying Bmw not only because the bikes, but the dealer network.

Online scotti

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR TE 2020
  • Town: Teesside
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 08:39:23 AM
I've  been buying bikes from Steve Brown at BMW Sunderland for the past 17 years. Top bloke and the dealership has always looked after me.
Buy the bike and stop messing about! :038:
Regards
Scotti

Offline Mumbo Jumbo

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:00:10 AM
Thanks Scotti, it’s Steve I’ve been chatting to. Seems like a good guy.

Online scotti

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR TE 2020
  • Town: Teesside
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 09:31:50 AM
As is Mick Clement in the service department and Tony is a top tech.
Regards
Scotti

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 10:11:00 AM
Assuming no trade in, you should get around 5% off a new bike if you press hard, particularly if from stock already in the UK, but you will need to be quick as with the onset of the riding season prices will rise.
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 10:12:24 AM
I’d be going with what’s already been, from forseeing a shortage when the rush starts, too if you are happy with your local dealer it’s a no brainier.

As far a deal go’s best bet are the extra’s ie HP seat/ levers you’ll do better from the get go than a later date.

dysfunctional