Author Brake Upgrades  (Read 11713 times)

• Offline wascallyrabbit   us

• XR Pro  ‐    129
    • Topic Author

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: King George, VA
    Brake Upgrades
    on: February 27, 2021, 12:09:28 am
    February 27, 2021, 12:09:28 am
    So I've never been impressed with the brakes on my XR. From the start I thought they were soft and weak. First the stock master cylinder was supposed a little on the small side so on goes the Brembo MK II 19 x 18. Only a slight improvement but not really much. The lever didn't really feel that different then the stock one. The math says I should've had a pretty firm lever, but it wasn't. This should've been my first clue that something was a miss. Then pad upgrade. This made a better stopping bike up did nothing for the lever.

Eventually pads and rotors.

While this set was probably more than most XR's it was okay. That was until I upgraded the suspension. Upon raising the suspension to standard height the new cartridges had a bit (~10mm more travel) which was nice but was now causing the lines to be pretty tight when parking the bike on the center stand. Prior to this I was having some air trapped on leaking into the system some how. No matter how much bled the brakes, just could get rid of the air for any length of time. Even after tying the brake to the handles bars overnight and getting a firm lever it would go soft in a few hours. Faster if you parked on the center stand. Couldn't find any leaking and the reservoir wasn't getting lower on fluid.  Some where along the line a friend had some new Brembo M4 calipers (well 1000 miles on them) and sold them to me for super cheap. So two sets of pads, 22k miles and the rotors wore out it was time for upgrade again. And now the rear rotor is finally wore too. So called Galfer.

Galfer wave rotors front and rear and some rear Galfer pads. Interesting thing about the Galfer rear pads is one pad is thicker than the other.

Then called Spiegler for new brake line from the ABS block to the calipers.

Not pictured is the Brembo SR pads. They are the replacement to the SC pads. Haven't used the SC so can't compare them.

The final look.

Got it all assembled and took it for a ride. Now this is how the brakes should feel. Good firm lever and good modulation under heavy braking. It's like a whole new bike. All I can say is there was definitely something wrong with my stock brake system. Can't pin point it exactly but it was either the stock line or the caliper seals of the stock brakes.

So how does this set up perform? Two up stoppies anyone. That is how powerful these brakes now feel and perform. No I didn't really try a stoppie with my wife on the back. But pretty sure it would've done one if I'd asked it to.

Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:33:39 am by wascallyrabbit

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3543

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Re: Brake Upgrades
    Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 07:52:21 am
    February 27, 2021, 07:52:21 am
    Interesting....have been the same route with 3 other bikes which I still have, but non of them have ABS always felt one would be fighting the other, but certainly food for thought.

Who was the manufacturer of the first set of discs you fitted.

• Online bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1168

Online bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:59:15 am
    March 01, 2021, 08:59:15 am
    @wascallyrabbit

Do you know the piston sizes of the calipers you are using ?

I have some Hel calipers and MC I am going to fit to my 765RS track bike and I was thinking of fitting the M50s and the 17mm Brembo MCS from that onto the BMW. Have you got a pic of the MC setup with the mirror mount etc ?

Thanks

Barry

• Offline OW31   au

• XR Pro  ‐    103

Offline OW31

• XR Pro
    • Town: Brisbane
    Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 11:54:49 pm
    March 01, 2021, 11:54:49 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Interesting....have been the same route with 3 other bikes which I still have, but non of them have ABS always felt one would be fighting the other, but certainly food for thought.

Who was the manufacturer of the first set of discs you fitted.
    The abs shouldn't make any difference until the moment the wheel tries to lock, depending upon the level of intrusion that's set. An upgrade in calipers master cylinder pads, lines etc should yield the same improvement in feel and stopping power as on a non abs system right up until the point of locking.
    Having said that I find the brakes on mine more than good enough for the road but then again I did start my racing career on 2 leading shoe drum brakes so most modern braking systems suit me just fine.

• Online bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1168

Online bazzer

• XR God
    Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 07:16:51 am
    March 02, 2021, 07:16:51 am
    I am going to have to disagree with that 0W31, the length of hose and the ABS pump definitely have an effect on the feel of the brakes. I have removed the ABS pump on my 765RS track bike after using it a few times with, the feel and predictability are definitely better. I know a few people who have raced RR's with the same ABS setup as us and none of them were able to get the brakes to work well without bypassing the ABS pump.

Even at fast road speed there is something going on with the brakes on the XR that makes them less than predicable, The sometimes feel fine but other times they don't, this robs confidence.

• Offline OW31   au

• XR Pro  ‐    103

Offline OW31

• XR Pro
    • Town: Brisbane
    Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:52:26 am
    March 02, 2021, 07:52:26 am
    That's why I said shouldn't  :002:
    I've not had any experience with abs on track so I'll bow to your superior experience. Maybe there's significant differences in bikes but in the dry my bike feels no different to my previous non ABS Aprilia Tuono which had a very similar brembo setup.

• Online bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1168

Online bazzer

• XR God
    Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:00:37 am
    March 02, 2021, 08:00:37 am
    Weirdly I still have a non ABS V4 Tuono :) 2013 I have had it from new :)

I guess its not really fair comparing them as a fully loaded XR with luggage on it is a lot heavier than the Tuono, however I always had confidence in the brakes on the Aprilia.

Where I have felt the XR lacking is when braking from high speed, for a split second it feels like the brakes are not working well, then they start to work. Weird but its not a good feeling :) They are bled and good lever feel etc and I run Brembo SC pads. I have wondered if its pad temp as it does seem to be after a while of not using the brakes. If I have a lot of brakes in a row like on a mountain road with lots of stop go riding I don't seem to get that issue. Though it does seem like its a lot of bike to stop sometimes :-)

So I think I am going to try the M50s and the Brembo MC from the RS on it. Will also look at some floating disks, I can't believe it comes from the factory with non floating discs. Might also experiment with some different pads.

• Offline Darty65   england

• XR Member  ‐    88

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 01:28:10 pm
    March 02, 2021, 01:28:10 pm
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    Weirdly I still have a non ABS V4 Tuono :) 2013 I have had it from new :)

Where I have felt the XR lacking is when braking from high speed, for a split second it feels like the brakes are not working well, then they start to work. Weird but its not a good feeling...

Bazzer,
    I have a 2020 XR and also feel that the initial bite isn’t reassuring. My previous bike was a 2018 GS TE with Brembo’s front and rear so just put it down to different manufacture. When I last ride my XR, the floating rear calliper wasn’t and had to be freed off due to salt oxidisation. I wash my bike before putting it away as I ride all year round, so was a bit annoyed - plus the rear brake was binding a bit.

Does anyone know if this would cause a lack of feeling on initial bite? Also, can someone confirm if the brakes are linked, as I’ve heard differing opinions?

Cheers.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3543

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 01:44:31 pm
    March 02, 2021, 01:44:31 pm
    I run PFM 6 pots and full floating discs on one bike, and Beringer calipers and full floating discs on another, neither bike has ABS i’m Pleased to say.

• Online bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1168

Online bazzer

• XR God
    Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:14:28 pm
    March 02, 2021, 02:14:28 pm
    @Darty65 they are definitely linked brakes on the XR. Though unsure how a seized rear would feel when using the front.

I actually don't mind the link brakes, I think it makes sense on a heavy bike with luggage.