Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up  (Read 2152 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up
on: March 01, 2021, 12:41:55 PM
I have found that my new Gen 2 XR revs quite high - c2100 RPM for a couple of minutes at a cold engine start before revs gradually decreasing to 1400 RPM. Is this normal??

According to dealer this is a feature of compliance with EU5 to warm the engine as soon as possible. Is this correct or a bullsh#t fob off?
PSH

Offline Wannyboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021
  • Town: Lincs
Re: 2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:24:20 PM
If it helps mine does it also  :001: - I had read that this is normal (well for turkeys who invented Euro 5)

Offline Dixy

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S 1000 XR 2020
  • Town: Newcastle
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 01:38:24 PM
yep mines the same, annoying, such a clunk when selecting first gear :151:

Offline Wannyboy

• XR Member
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 01:54:27 PM
To be fair, once I start it and put my jacket, helmet and gloves on etc it seems to drop and idle around 1400rpm but does hunt a bit  :112:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 05:32:36 PM
Seems a bit daft then - instead of starting and driving away, instead you wait for revs to drop before you go. Wonder which twat thought that would be a good idea.  :087:
PSH

Offline Gothrick

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 06:34:33 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
I have found that my new Gen 2 XR revs quite high - c2100 RPM for a couple of minutes at a cold engine start before revs gradually decreasing to 1400 RPM. Is this normal??

According to dealer this is a feature of compliance with EU5 to warm the engine as soon as possible. Is this correct or a bullsh#t fob off?
True not dealer bullsh#t, although the idea under Euro5 is supposedly to get the cat up to temperature more quickly not the engine - apparently they are more efficient when hot! Wonder if the Eurocrats took into account the extra fuel used at start up and carting around the extra kilos of precious or should that be useless metals in the cat :008:

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Thessaloniki
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 07:52:57 PM
It holds 2000rpm for about 30 seconds. If you ride before the idle drops to 1400rpm the clutch delivery is not smooth. Annoying.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 10:00:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Parmenion [+]
It holds 2000rpm for about 30 seconds. If you ride before the idle drops to 1400rpm the clutch delivery is not smooth. Annoying.

Longer than 30 secs in cold weather like we enjoy in the UK - more like 2 minutes
PSH

Offline Wannyboy

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:00:46 PM
Slightly varying off topic, I was researching what the much discussed BrenTuning ECU flash does, and I see they have now launched the flash for the XR Gen II. It would appear that they focus on manipulating the ECU for optimal running of the engine as appose to not necessary meeting Euro 5 requirements. Meaning better drivability and more low/mid range punch, also one of the things they seem to target is the cold/warm start characteristics that bike currently has. Below is what they address  and I have included the detail of what they do for the idle element.

Octane adjustments
    Corrected cold/warm start idle - Corrected cold/warm start idle for finer tuning beyond Stage 1. Stage 1 did a lot to correct the startup issues the 2020 S1000XR was having. Stage 2 goes a step further. There is no longer a high idle that transitions into a lower idle. The idle remains static without any lean popping, idle hunting or stalling.
    Re-calibrated timing
    Lower max lambda, leaner high RPM Target
    Higher RPM limit without throttle cut for roll racers
    30% faster up and downshifts
    Includes our IAT extension kit and intake flapper removal kit

I will be looking for those who have done the BrenTuning ECU flash on the Gen2 to see how it goes - I like the sound of it, just the cost of the handheld  :164: - I wondered if any tuning shops will do the flash for you like they do cars ?

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 05:00:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Wannyboy [+]
Slightly varying off topic, I was researching what the much discussed BrenTuning ECU flash does, and I see they have now launched the flash for the XR Gen II. It would appear that they focus on manipulating the ECU for optimal running of the engine as appose to not necessary meeting Euro 5 requirements. Meaning better drivability and more low/mid range punch, also one of the things they seem to target is the cold/warm start characteristics that bike currently has. Below is what they address  and I have included the detail of what they do for the idle element.

Octane adjustments
    Corrected cold/warm start idle - Corrected cold/warm start idle for finer tuning beyond Stage 1. Stage 1 did a lot to correct the startup issues the 2020 S1000XR was having. Stage 2 goes a step further. There is no longer a high idle that transitions into a lower idle. The idle remains static without any lean popping, idle hunting or stalling.
    Re-calibrated timing
    Lower max lambda, leaner high RPM Target
    Higher RPM limit without throttle cut for roll racers
    30% faster up and downshifts
    Includes our IAT extension kit and intake flapper removal kit

I will be looking for those who have done the BrenTuning ECU flash on the Gen2 to see how it goes - I like the sound of it, just the cost of the handheld  :164: - I wondered if any tuning shops will do the flash for you like they do cars ?

brentuning sounds great but just too expensive
PSH

dysfunctional