Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Stav

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Cambridgeshire
Re: 2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 05:32:27 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
brentuning sounds great but just too expensive

It might seem expensive but people spend that kind of money on an aftermarket exhaust that makes zero difference in performance (on Euro 5 bikes anyway).
I think it was the best mod I've done to my bike so far but yes it can seem expensive at first.

Offline JCK

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Ninja400,S1000XR
  • Town: Ghent
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 07:32:45 AM
Seems a bit daft then - instead of starting and driving away, instead you wait for revs to drop before you go. Wonder which twat thought that would be a good idea.  :087:

You can start your bike first and put helmet and gloves on while waiting for the revs to drop. I own a BMW M car that revs to 2K RPM's for about 30-90 seconds on cold starts, that bugs me more since you have literally nothing to do.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 08:10:37 PM
brentuning sounds great but just too expensive
Too expensive compared to what? An alternative to Brentung is RS2 in Germany. They charge € 500 for a reflash. Have to send your module in. Add on piggyback modules are ridiculous in the added wiring and outdated in cutting out the 02 sensor.The Brentuning handheld unit with the option to switch between standard and tunes is a €200 value or so. It's the Dimsport Mygenius. There's not a zillion companies like Dimsport offering tuning tools to Brentuning and others. In fact I think there's one other and also Italien, Alientech. And the previous handheld offered by Brentuning was the Alientech one. The one I had on my BMW car from Evolve UK was also Alientech. And that was £600 more than 10 years ago

Offline Bor_S

• XR Member
  • Town: Amsterdam
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 08:56:35 PM
The idea of a flash is good, but the price is steep.  Flashing is not that hard, but the development of the right mapping is time consuming.   

Just send you ECU and get it back with a other program...   not my thing.  Every bike is diverend even with the same specs. 

I like to get the bike run on a dyno to see the result and check the fuel/air ratio.
Gone get my bike reflashed in some weeks, gone go to a in Holland welknown DynoCenter   Tovami, just got a new set of black widow headers and want the bike adjusted to that.
They charge € 300,-  with a before and after dynorun.  And finetuning of the program if needed.

Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:59:18 PM by Bor_S

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 09:18:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Bor_S [+]
I like to get the bike run on a dyno to see the result and check the fuel/air ratio.

The beauty of bikes with a wide range O2 sensor is that this is happening constantly while riding. There may be slight changes in timing from 1 bike to another, but an off the shelf tune with a corrected 02 target is going to give you more than a custom tune on a narrowband bike.

Offline Bor_S

• XR Member
  • Town: Amsterdam
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 09:24:47 PM
All true,  you could trust the system,  but I would like to be sure and know the result. 
Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:26:40 PM by Bor_S

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 09:28:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Bor_S [+]
All true,  you could trust the system,  but I would like to be sure and know the result.

Find a tuner you trust. The number of times i've seen shops with 02 sensors poorly mounted or poorly maintained likely exceeds the number of times i've seen it done properly.

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 09:46:15 PM
i also wonder if the 911 tool or others can log or monitor the 02?
also, looking at long term fuel trims will give great insight in  to the quality of your tune.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 03:03:03 AM
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
i also wonder if the 911 tool or others can log or monitor the 02?
also, looking at long term fuel trims will give great insight in  to the quality of your tune.

I have a wideband O2 sensor mounted on my bike so I can see what's happening with the A/F ratio in real time...then I can adjust the mapping/tune to suit myself. The RBE has the capacity to change maps in minute detail as you see fit...I find it very useful for adjusting to different throttle openings, temperatures and altitudes etc.....not that I change altitude all that much. :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 10:30:26 AM
Interestingly, I returned from a 'shopping' trip yesterday and left the bike on the drive for 15 minutes before putting in the garage.  When I restarted, the bike high revved for several seconds despite the engine being very warm.
BMW S1000XR TE

dysfunctional