Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up  (Read 2151 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: 2021 XR - High Revving At Cold Engine Start Up
Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 09:19:08 AM
Getting really sick of this stupid and unnecessary feature now - off the bike for 15 minutes talking to some mates with engine off, ready to go, start engine and engine at 2000 RPM +, try to drive away immediately in traffic with engine still revving, have to keep pulling the clutch to slow down. Awful idea, potentially dangerous. What does it actually achieve in terms of a faster warm up?  :230: :232:
PSH

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 09:21:28 AM
*Originally Posted by millview [+]
Interestingly, I returned from a 'shopping' trip yesterday and left the bike on the drive for 15 minutes before putting in the garage.  When I restarted, the bike high revved for several seconds despite the engine being very warm.

Even if you stop to refuel the engine will rev high when you start to leave. Really crap feature which I do not want.
PSH

Offline Stav

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Cambridgeshire
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 09:30:47 AM
It's purely to meet EURO5 emissions, warm up the CATs faster. I believe all EURO5 bike will behave in a similar way.
Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:31:26 AM by Stav

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 11:31:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Stav [+]
It's purely to meet EURO5 emissions, warm up the CATs faster. I believe all EURO5 bike will behave in a similar way.

Yes I know, but does it really make that much difference? + you have to wait until the revs drop wasting fuel and polluting the air and making a lot of unnecessary noise which neighbours dont appreciate + we are not actually in the EU - we are in the UK
PSH

Offline Stav

• XR Member
Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 12:15:43 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Yes I know, but does it really make that much difference? + you have to wait until the revs drop wasting fuel and polluting the air and making a lot of unnecessary noise which neighbours dont appreciate + we are not actually in the EU - we are in the UK

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, it's just there to meet a target that's all. UK being in the EU or not doesn't matter, we've copy pasted every single EU regulation to facilitate trade anyway so.... The last thing manufacturers want to do is spend money developing products for different markets/regulations, so EURO5 (and above) is adopted as emission standard across many non EU countries, whether we like it or not. EURO emission regulation targets are ambitious so no wonder why governments want to adopt them if they have an eco/green friendly agenda.

Personally, I hated the high idle. I've got the Brentuning flash on my bike, it starts at 1,500rpm and stays there, whether the engine is hot or cold..
Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 12:17:29 PM by Stav

Offline jakebake

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 06:53:31 PM
Stav

could you expand a bit with the bren tuning. Did you go stage 1 and stage 2 ? If you did stage 2 did the flapper kit make the bike sound more like the gen 1 induction noise ? Also did it make a noticeable difference to the lack of pull and low revs ? and lastly what happens if bmw find he software on the bike or if they unknowingly delete it by installing am upgrade

thanks  mike

Offline Stav

• XR Member
Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 10:55:45 PM
*Originally Posted by jakebake [+]
Stav

could you expand a bit with the bren tuning. Did you go stage 1 and stage 2 ? If you did stage 2 did the flapper kit make the bike sound more like the gen 1 induction noise ? Also did it make a noticeable difference to the lack of pull and low revs ? and lastly what happens if bmw find he software on the bike or if they unknowingly delete it by installing am upgrade

thanks  mike

Hey Mike,

I’ve never ridden the gen 1 so I can’t compare, I had a GS before my gen 2.
I went for the stage 1 flash from Brentuning and in all honesty the bike is plenty fast enough so I plan to leave it as it is, I’ve had the flash for 4 months now and got used to it. The bike has stock headers and just an Akrapovic slip on...

In terms of noticeable differences between stock and stage 1:

- very noticeable mid range improvement, feels stronger and power comes earlier in the rev range
- more power in lower gears, stock map was too soft, bike felt lethargic
- throttle noticeably less snatchy around town (on/off feel)
- exhaust valve is managed differently and you get lots more noise, pretty much all the time which is great if you like that sort of thing, I found the bike was too quiet
- exhaust burbles around 5k rpm on deceleration, it was dead quiet before
- fan comes on earlier. Stock is at 100C, their stage 1 is at 85C, I asked them to set it at 95C
- cold start idle is at 1,500 rpm immediately after the bike starts and stays there

They have a FAQ on their site explaining what to do when you take the bike to the dealer etc. To summarise, when you flash the bike with the modified tune, the handheld device will store the original tune and you can revert back to it any time you like. The handheld can store up to 10 tunes if I’m not mistaken.

It is recommended to flash the stock tune before you take the bike to the dealer. You should tell the dealer to not update your ECU but if they do, you won’t be able to reflash the modified file because it’s created for a different software version. You’ll have to pay Brentuning $100 for a new tune based on the updated software.

If you don’t revert to stock and the dealer upgrades your ecu software then you’ll have to reset the handheld at a cost of $200 if I remember correctly and another $100 for a retune.

One thing to bear in mind is that the ecu has an incremental flash counter, so every time you flash it will show. This may raise your dealer’s eyebrows, so best keep the number low. I don’t consider this to be an issue personally.

I hope this helps,
Stav
Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:57:11 PM by Stav

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 08:01:12 AM
I roll the bike out of the garage and let it warm up as I don the last layers of my gear and helmet. At that point, it's settled, warmed up, and raring to go. I started this habit because I was told that the S1000 engine is designed to be warmed up before use; i.e., this isn't supposed to be a bike that you just start and go.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #28 on: April 01, 2021, 08:30:15 AM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
I roll the bike out of the garage and let it warm up as I don the last layers of my gear and helmet. At that point, it's settled, warmed up, and raring to go. I started this habit because I was told that the S1000 engine is designed to be warmed up before use; i.e., this isn't supposed to be a bike that you just start and go.

Same here. By the time I roll it out of the garage and put my gloves on, it's warmed up and ready.
And I don't find this feature annoying. To me, that angry start and high rpm's fit perfectly to the XR's character.
Those who don't like high rpm's, noise and aggression, should get a Goldwing  :001:
Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:32:02 AM by esso_sa

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Reply #29 on: April 01, 2021, 10:42:56 AM
Stav, when are you getting your bike on the Dyno at BSD? I’ve got mine booked in for a dyno run next Wed as my low end fuelling is rubbish, ive got the Stage 3 Brentune flash so want them to evaluate it. Also will see if they can do 2 runs - as it currently is + I’ll take the handheld with me to reset the ecu back to stock, if they’ve got time for 2 runs, bearing in mind I’ve got aftermarket headers on a Gen 1 so a very different set up to yours.

dysfunctional